Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #1
taggermike

Kage question

I have lost yet another gaff. One lost at sea, one stollen, and now one left in mexico. So for the 4th try, and after seeing our Hawain brother's fish landing style, I'm going to build a kage. Did some research, looks simple enough, but 2 details eluded me.

How long should the actual spike be? Long enough to go through the head of the biggest fish in our area obviously, but how much after that?

What is the best diameter for the spike to be? 1/2, 3/8, 5/16?? The larger spike will hold better but take more force to penetrate the fish ad leave a bigger hole(meat damage).

Island anglers, and any so cal kage users, please help me out.

Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:11 PM   #2
Redeyejedi

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showth...%28kah-geh-%29

and there's a cat from the garden isle on here with some fairly impressive vids, look around, some really cool threads.
Redeyejedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:27 PM   #3
Cbad Mike

Don't go crazy building one because as history shows, You will probably lose it.
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
maui jim

I am looking to build one, finding the 3/8" Stainless Steel all-thead is a little tough to find so far...
I planning to use 1 1/4" dia. 30" length wood dowl and 18" length of all-thread . Expoxing 4" or so into the dowl ,cork wraped, and grinding that bitch to a nice sharp point..
Old 02-13-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
taggermike

Thanks for the link Redeye. That is an impressive looking spear. Jim, I found ss all thread at the home depot, just wasn't sure what size to get. And Cbad, you're probably right. Anything I make could end up swimming. My last gaffs were made from thrift store golf club handles and squidco hooks. Not a big investment. Kage will be the same. Thanks. Mike
Old 02-13-2013, 07:06 PM   #6
Redeyejedi

no problem.
i have an old aluminum spear with a screw in spearhead with a flopper on it. may try to repurpose that into a kage stick.
Redeyejedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:50 PM   #7
jorluivil

I've considered making something similar but my fear is what if that fish comes up vertical? How do you spear it?

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #8
JarrodMc

If I were you why don't you just use some 3/8 stainless rod or even 1/4 is probably strong enough. You don't need allthread. Just drill a hole in your dowel and epoxy it in there. if you're that worried about it, run a screw into the dowel and halfway into the SS rod. done
JarrodMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #9
taggermike

I think they prefer the all thread because the threads help to hold the fish on to the rod. Redeye, I have a toggle head on a short pole spear that I use for halibut. It would work well, I think, as a kage. I suppose a full break away head would work well but be a PITA to deploy. Maybe a great idea for huge fish like pacific halibut but over kill for local fishing. Mike
Old 02-15-2013, 02:43 PM   #10
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui jim View Post
I am looking to build one, finding the 3/8" Stainless Steel all-thead is a little tough to find so far...
I planning to use 1 1/4" dia. 30" length wood dowl and 18" length of all-thread . Expoxing 4" or so into the dowl ,cork wraped, and grinding that bitch to a nice sharp point..
"maui jim has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages"
I have about 4 feet of .250 - .375 ss rod your more then welcomed to it, but first pay your damn bill, so you can PM if you need some security tokens let me know I will get them to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I've considered making something similar but my fear is what if that fish comes up vertical? How do you spear it?
easy, pull the trigger.
Riffe Island 2.jpg

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

Last edited by bus kid; 02-15-2013 at 02:49 PM.
bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:07 PM   #11
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
"maui jim has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages"
I have about 4 feet of .250 - .375 ss rod your more then welcomed to it, but first pay your damn bill, so you can PM if you need some security tokens let me know I will get them to you!

easy, pull the trigger.
Attachment 8423
Duh......I meant vertical.

geez....I must be putting to much thought into this:confu sed:

I'll stick to my gaff

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #12
ful-rac
Emperor

So after you make yourself a kah-geh and you still need a gaff right? I noticed on the dude from kona's video he first spears then gaffs...so looks like you guys need to build both.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:58 PM   #13
surf-bum

Try search the Aquahunters forum for how to make a Kage. Should be helpful.
surf-bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:14 PM   #14
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

And this is why I don't fish, its just too complicated...

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote