Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #1
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

First WSB on the PA!

isnt he cute?

Corvina anyone?

was in oside harbor and after not finding any butts i was on my way back. it was dark and i seen bait fish hit the surface, threw back a 3" BH and circled the bait fish twice. 2 corvina, one 25" and a WSB. under age of course.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:51 PM   #2
roadx

short fin corvina

Old 10-09-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
lowprofile

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadx View Post
short fin corvina
first was a wsb. second pic is a corvina
Old 10-09-2012, 10:23 PM   #4
medina760

I saw you there I was in the mirage oasis with my bro.
medina760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:00 PM   #5
PE.rider

nice fish ...

Try the following recipe ...

http://fishcooking.about.com/od/fish...glaze_bass.htm

yum yum yum
PE.rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:26 AM   #6
mtnbykr2

congrats on your wasabe, they only get bigger from there, but I can appreciate the excitement I got a 33 in Ventura earlier this summer, released
but stoked to get to catch a legal....
Old 10-10-2012, 06:36 AM   #7
lowprofile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
congrats on your wasabe, they only get bigger from there, but I can appreciate the excitement I got a 33 in Ventura earlier this summer, released
but stoked to get to catch a legal....
lol. it was released. i released a few to 32" this year so far. haven't landed a big one yet. i wasn't even going to take it out of the water but i had 3 huge fur bags commin after me and the fish so figured i might as well snap a pic, then got the corvina and took one for comparison.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:28 AM   #8
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
lol. it was released. i released a few to 32" this year so far. haven't landed a big one yet. i wasn't even going to take it out of the water but i had 3 huge fur bags commin after me and the fish so figured i might as well snap a pic, then got the corvina and took one for comparison.
yeah but there is something about having a nice little fight with a wsb...isn't there....
Old 10-10-2012, 10:39 AM   #9
Deamon

I can't tell the diff. Great fishies though, congrats. High and dry in that air craft carrier I'll bet...
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:49 PM   #10
Poxy Boggards

Wow, good fish ID skills. How do you tell the difference? Looks like the same fish slipped over to me, but I don't know how to tell the difference.
Poxy Boggards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #11
TJones

young ones

got more scrappin skills then big ones. i would be willing to bet. . not known for fighting skills . I myself, finally popped my coastal tanker cherry . i was with Kevin " the Kid " . think the fish was around 45 lbs. congrats on breaking the skunk . i know mine was way over due. bet those corbina are good to eat. tight lines.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #12
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

Nice man all you need is a little bit of the wsb mojo and then theyll be piling on ur yak soon. I cant tell the difference either.
Biggameaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #13
roby
CEO of Team Roby

I can tell the difference by just looking at the first picture....

If you look closely at the first one you can tell it is the kind of fish and the size Jorluivil would catch.
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #14
lowprofile

well, at that size, the main difference is the wsb has bars. which kind of got washed out by the flash but you can make them out towards the rear of the fish. also the mouth is shaped a little different. more soft spots on the top.

the corvina has two "vampire" teeth up front and the inside of the mouth is orange. the orange in the first pic is my lead head.

also, tails have subtle differences.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #15
lowprofile

Quote:
Originally Posted by medina760 View Post
I saw you there I was in the mirage oasis with my bro.
how did you guys do? i think i seen you guys going out while i was going to the back of the bay by the charters. threw the 4" big hammer all around the rocks and a small drop off that usually produces some butts, but nobody was home. then talked to a guy at the civilian boat ramp who was tossing a gulp jerk shad. he was getting hits but nothing stuck. thinking he mights have been getting hit by the corvina as well, since they struck 4-5 times in quick succession while i was trolling before they were hooked.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #16
mtnbykr2

Quote:
well, at that size, the main difference is the wsb has bars. which kind of got washed out by the flash but you can make them out towards the rear of the fish. also the mouth is shaped a little different. more soft spots on the top.

the corvina has two "vampire" teeth up front and the inside of the mouth is orange. the orange in the first pic is my lead head.

I,ineed to go fishin'....baaaadddd...
Old 10-10-2012, 08:16 PM   #17
medina760

Quote:
how did you guys do? i think i seen you guys going out while i was going to the back of the bay by the charters. threw the 4" big hammer all around the rocks and a small drop off that usually produces some butts, but nobody was home. then talked to a guy at the civilian boat ramp who was tossing a gulp jerk shad. he was getting hits but nothing stuck. thinking he mights have been getting hit by the corvina as well, since they struck 4-5 times in quick succession while i was trolling before they were hooked.
It was slow just one good bite but no hook up the rest small lizard fish. And by the time we got back to hoop for bugs there was nets everywhere, we still threw them but no luck... Can't always have a good day.
medina760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:06 PM   #18
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

Quote:

Still dont see the difference lol. Ive always thought corvina had those sad looking eyes for some reason.
Biggameaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:32 AM   #19
taggermike

Cool to see the wsb but definately nice vinas. I have always done better in so cal at night for the vinas. Vins can be aggressive on the bite but they often do the little taps or sort of climb on to the lure. The 100% sure way to tell wsb from sfc is that the wsb will ALWAYS have a sort ridge down the belly and the sfc will NEVER have this ridge. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote