Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2011, 11:45 AM   #1
fishinkid2010

Team Baylor Places 2nd

Thought I would share this will y'all, not exactly caught off my Hobie, but super fun nonetheless!

Yesterday was the Collegiate Bass: Sam Houston State Invitational on Lake Whitney, TX. This tournament was between all the schools throughout Texas. I was school from UT, Texas Tech, Dallas Baptist, and lots others. Luckily for Baylor the lake is only an hour drive from Waco, much better than the guys coming all the way from Lubbock!

With the lack of rain in Texas the lake was extremely low, the launch ramp we used could be called “sketchy” at best. Due to the water being as low as it was they were forced to use a single lane launch ramp. Needless to say getting all the boats on the trailer for weigh in took forever.

We did not have a chance to pre-fish this lake so we went into the tournament rather blind. We also were fishing out of our Bass Tracker and not the Pro Craft, so it was tougher to make a big move across the lake to find fish with a smaller aluminum bass boat with a smaller outboard. It was also super windy which created a great deal of chop on the water.

We started the day by making a run across the lake to a section of shoreline that dropped off to 25’ when you were about 75 yards from the shore. It was full of submerged timber as well. Being that it was the early morning the wind was light enough that we could affectively fish it. We began by throwing Mann’s deep diving crank baits and medium diving cranks, we also were throwing a white Stanley Wedge spinner bait with a trailer hook. We pulled one nice fish out of here, and I had one big keeper hit the bait near the boat but get off.

From here we moved and started looking for coves with timber in them. We never found any grass and never found fish relating to boat docks. So the game plan throughout the day was coves. On a side note, I also had one more nice keeper jump and spit the hook a little later in the day… that was a heart breaker!

Baits that we threw all day were cranks, spinner baits, Roboworms on shakey heads, Stanley jigs with brush hogs for trailers, Sidewinders on a Carolina rig, Skinnybear flukes, all slathered up with Unibutter.

When fishing the heavy timber I recommend using heavy line. All of our reels are loaded with 15- 17# McCoy Fluorocarbon and 65# Braid. We fish North Fork Composite and Rainshadow rods that are on the heavy side. Rainshadow’s RX8+ rods have really been proving themselves this year, they are very sensitive, but heavy enough that I have no qualms about bouncing a nice sized bass into the boat.
Northfork has designed some incredibly sensitive blanks too. I have been fishing them with smaller baits like little jigs, shakey heads, and T rigs, on Whitney their blanks proved to be very valuable since they helped me feel when I was dragging though rocks, and when I actually had a bite. (Lake Whitney is solid rock in most places.)

With an hour left our trolling motor died on us and we were forced to head in and call it quits. We tied up to the marina and I fished a Lateral Perch for an hour hoping for a big bass off one of the many brush piles in the marinas for Crappie. No luck, but we were feeling alright with a limit in the livewell.

We were a little nervous for weigh in though, after talking to a few teams that had limits as well.

1st place won it with 12.22 pounds….

Team Baylor had 12.17 pounds!!! Super close but good enough for 2nd place. I also caught big bass of the tournament. (Which came on a Mann’s crank swam between two trees.)

Big thanks to our sponsors! Its their support that helps make this happen!

Diamond Pacific Construction
Skinny Bear Tackle
Mann’s Bait Co,
Culprit Bait
Roboworm
Stanley Jigs
Batson Enterprises
North Fork Composites
Bullard Int.
Costa Del Mar Sunglasses
McCoy Premium Fishing Line
Seaguar Fluorocarbon
Earthsports.com
Bass King clothing
Hodges Capital Management
Owner Hooks
Unibutter
Cablz
Power Tackle

Thanks for reading! Now get out there and catch some bucket mouths of your own!
fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
lamb

Very cool Kid,

big time congrats!
Old 11-20-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Nicely done!

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:24 PM   #4
yani

Congrats on 2nd place!! That was close. Keep up
the good work. See you this summer.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:45 PM   #5
blitzburgh

Nice work man!
Old 11-21-2011, 07:24 AM   #6
j mo

Nice Tyler!

Seems Baylor has a couple things going for it Bass Champs and a superstar QB.....

Make sure you hit me up come spring vacay, you need to settle the score w Riley
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:18 PM   #7
kobra

Great job guys! Oh so close. Keep up the good work.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:25 PM   #8
fishinfreak

tyler are you coming home for thanksgiving? or are you going to enjoy the days of no school to stay at phi delt to enjoy the smooth taste of keystone light? my dad is currently up here at berkeley and we're leaving tomorrow morning early to drive the coast home and surf the whole way. we're getting matt at cal poly and then surfing rincon or jalama before getting back to SD. matt and i are already planning a trip to dolphin tanks so maybe we could fish off the whaler. or we should hit LJ on the kayaks.
reilly
fishinfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:03 AM   #9
fishinkid2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinfreak View Post
tyler are you coming home for thanksgiving? or are you going to enjoy the days of no school to stay at phi delt to enjoy the smooth taste of keystone light? my dad is currently up here at berkeley and we're leaving tomorrow morning early to drive the coast home and surf the whole way. we're getting matt at cal poly and then surfing rincon or jalama before getting back to SD. matt and i are already planning a trip to dolphin tanks so maybe we could fish off the whaler. or we should hit LJ on the kayaks.
reilly
No, I have no plans to go home. Christmas will be the soonest we can fish La Jolla. haha I'm thinking of just staying in Waco, I might drive to Houston to see my aunt and uncle for Thanksgiving now that I have my truck here, but I'm not sure about that. Maybe if I hear back from my friend who transferred to LSU but lives near Houston I'll drive down, but I have yet to hear back from her.
Yall should have a blast surfing, I want to go surfing bad! But with plans to fish Lake Amistad on the border in the near future I aint hurting too bad.
fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:00 PM   #10
fishinfreak

nice. i just got home. surfed carmel beach tuesday evening, then hit pismo and jalama today on the way home. dude we went to ano nuevo yesterday and the seals there are ridiculous. i'd love to go out on a boat and see the big white sharks there. we'll surf/fish/dive over christmas
fishinfreak is offline   Reply With Quote