Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
CocoNutZ21
Junior

Sciatica

Hi everyone. I've been browsing for the past couple of months, and I'm very interested in buying a kayak. Talking to the OEX guys at the Fred Hall show only made me want one that much more. Problem is I suffer from rare bouts of sciatica flare ups. I'm fine daily unless I overdo it at work, which I've done recently. I've researched on yak back and it looks like I may aggravate my issue more often than I want to. Does anyone here have back issues, and how do you manage the pain? I've been getting back to working out. So I'm working my core and doing some yoga stretches to help with my flexibility. All advice is greatly appreciated, thanks.
CocoNutZ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
Amish Ed

I have a bad back too. I know for me all day sessions just can't happen. About 6hrs is my limit. I also have to be really careful loading my yak too. Sometimes I just have to not go, knowing that if I do I'll really be hurting afterwards. I'd suggest you go and rent a few times and stay out at least 4hrs. How much pain, if any, will tell you if it's worth buying a yak. Even if you were to only make it out once or twice a month it'd be worth it. I can't really do 2 days in a row, but once a week works for me most of the time.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
mtnbykr2

I have had sciatic problems both sides mountain biking helped, I would wreck and hit up the chiropractor he would repromand me...I have been in the yak for about six years now, yeah I am careful loading and unloading, but for the most part it doesn't bother me, knock on wood...I agree, with the others rent or demo for a few times to assure yourself of the pain if any, then make the decision...good luck, but truthfully I think it will help...
Old 03-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #4
surf-bum

Depends on what aggravates your symptoms of sciatica. If bending forward makes it worse, kayaking might not be the best thing for it. If bending forward makes it better, kayaking probably would make it better.

If bending forward makes it worse, you could still kayak with some modifications like a good seat and butt pad. It would keep you more upright and in an extended position to help relieve pain. Like stated above, you would probably need to find the limit of how long you can be out before your pain gets too bad. Then stay within that time frame.

Writing this response over a few beers. If you have any questions, PM me. I am currently in PT school and could try and give you some advice.
surf-bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #5
CocoNutZ21
Junior

Thanks for the help fellas. I did rent a kayak before for about an hour and had no issues at all. Normally I'm fine doing anything and everything, but then there are those 5 bad days out of the year that just get you. Unfortunately, I had one of those days last Friday, and my lower back is still somewhat tender, and my sciatica pain surfaced just enough to remind me that it's still around and I do have to take it easy. It Seems like a good idea to rent a kayak to see just how long I can take the discomfort.

surf-bum - Are you familiar with A.R.T.? Active Release Techniques? The chiropractor who performed that on me and released my pinch nerve pretty much saved my life. 2 1/2 years ago I was on disability for 7 months figuring out what am I going to do with the rest of my life, until I found her.

I'll be going over to OEX soon and rent a kayak. If all is good, I hope to post some reports. Thanks again.
CocoNutZ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:33 PM   #6
Amish Ed

Yeah, bring your bass gear and make a day of it.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #7
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

I have chronic lower back pain and had ruptured a disk a while back. With that comes regular bouts with sciatica. For me, kayaking is pain-free most of the time, except for occasional leg cramps. One big difference when compared to some of the others who have posted in this thread is that I ride a Hobie.

In my Revo, I can position myself in the seat so that I am as comfortable as possible and just peddle away. I can usually go all day without significant back pain. Typically I run out of energy long before the pain becomes a problem.

As someone mentioned, lifting the kayak to the racks, especially after a marathon day can be a problem. Not wanting another ruptured disk, I am very careful about this and have even asked for help a few times after an especially exhausting day. Of course, I am an old guy and the kayak gets heavier every trip.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:35 PM   #8
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Like others said, take the time to load/unload the yak first and foremost.

Make sure you spend the extra $ and get a good seat, and adjust it accordingly to not what feels best but what is best for your back, and know how to adjust it while you are on the water.

Watch how you paddle and make sure you are using your shoulders and arms instead of your back, if you are doing it right you should actually feel your abs doing the work. I have lumbar issues (L4 & L5), definitely feel it after a long day and do experience leg cramps, prob due to lack of blood flow so I tend to hang my legs over the side.

As mentioned, don't try a marathon session and instead of trying to be a contortionist, learn how to sit sideways on the yak to reach anything behind you. And stay hydrated.

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:09 PM   #9
GregAndrew

I also suffer from L4 and L5 protrusions, and have the sciatic problems associated. In my case, paddling has helped me out very much by strengthening my core. That is not to say that there has been no pain associated with kayaking, but it has been very theraputic both in and out of the yak. I am rarely in the water less than 7 hours now. As stated, learning to paddle properly and not exceeding your limitations are key.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #10
kurt

Stretching, exercising, ice, and Aleve.