Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2010, 09:19 AM   #1
jbm

How to rig a drift chute and kelp anchor

I'm going to add a drift chute to my X-13. I'm trying to decide the best way to do so. I want to avoid climbing all over the boat to deploy and attach the thing, and while changing my drift angle. I'd also likely use this rigging to clip into the kelp if I don't want to drift at all.

I'm thinking I'd take a length of deck line long enough to create a loop of cord that runs from bow to stern along one side of the boat. I'd run one side of the loop through eyelets attached to one side of the boat, and attach the chute to the other side of the loop. This way, from my seat I can pull the cord to move the chute toward the bow or the stern to change my drift angle.

Does this sound like a reasonable way to do it? Any suggestion on what to use to hold the deck line in place once I get it in the right position? Some kind of cleat?
jbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:27 AM   #2
old_rookie

For a kelp anchor you can grab a string and tie it to the side handle. Thanks to Danny for showing me that idea.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:18 PM   #3
maui jim

A cheap nylon dog leash with a brass trigger snap attached to it works wonders Just triggersnap to a healthy kelp stringger and enjoy.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:47 PM   #4
GregAndrew

I used "Pad Eyes" for my connecting points. If you plan on using an anchor at all, anywhere there might be swell, I recommend using at least 1 loop of bungee to add some give in the trolley. Pulleys help the cord adjust more easily but are not a necessity. Some type of quick connectors on either end make them easier to remove, tie off or tow something. A metal or plastic ring to attach your drift chute to or run your anchor line through will finish it off. The further forward and back that you place your connecting points, the more options you will have in setting yourself up for your drift/anchorage. But you might have to come up with a guide or two to keep the cord from dragging in the water. Good luck, and show us what you come up with.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:25 PM   #5
jbm

All great feedback! Thanks! I'll definitely post my results.
jbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:32 PM   #6
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

check out this website for pictures of rigging... http://www.oceankayak.com/fishing/outfitting.html
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote