Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2009, 09:44 PM   #1
Trophy Killer
Junior

I can't decide between a Hobie Revo or a Malibu Stealth 14

I can't decide between the Hobie Revo or the Malibu Stealth 14. I plan on fishing SD bay, LJ, and Orange County coast. Im 5'9" 190 and will be a newbie to kayak fishing but learn quick and know how to fish from a boat and find fish.
I like the Hobie for all the features it has but can't figure out how and where would you store your catch and keep it in good condition especially a big wsb or yt? Any Tips from Revo owners?
I think the stealth 14 is also great looks like plenty of room and storage especially for a big fish. Can any Hobie and Stealth owners let me know what you think.

Last edited by Trophy Killer; 03-21-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Trophy Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:03 AM   #2
wbrewski

I have a stealth 14 and love this kayak. I have had a Hobie outback and rolled it 2 times and lost a lot of gear. This is my second malibu . I love this kayak because I am a big guy 265 and 6'2 and 63 years old and can;t climb back in if i go over again I feel really safe in this kayak.
wbrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:09 AM   #3
da22y

On the lap

I have a Revo, but never caught a 50lb+ fish yet in La Jolla ( one monster black seabass released doesn't count).

I can't find a "proper place" to hold the potential LARGE fish other than my lap either.

Becasue the tankwell has the huge Hobie livewell tank in place, no good.

Under the hatch, there are my dry bags, battery bag, fishfinder console ,upper wet suit , 3 to 4 fishing poles with reel , no good.

That leaves me only on my lap. Not gonna be pleasant, but I'll take it any day.

Dan
da22y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:58 PM   #4
dadandsonkayak

in the front hatch

i would store it in the front hatch and slip the fish in there with a trash bag wrapped around it so u dont hav a fishy hull to make ur personals smell..i know for a fact that it is easier to use leg muscle than arm but the some paddle kayaks have better featurs such as a built in bait tank. wich on a hobie ur bait tank is behind you which somtimes is hard... either way ur gonna be happy with either one
Old 03-21-2009, 11:42 PM   #5
THE DARKHORSE

Fear of the unknown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by da22y View Post
I have a Revo, but never caught a 50lb+ fish yet in La Jolla ( one monster black seabass released doesn't count).

I can't find a "proper place" to hold the potential LARGE fish other than my lap either.

Becasue the tankwell has the huge Hobie livewell tank in place, no good.

Under the hatch, there are my dry bags, battery bag, fishfinder console ,upper wet suit , 3 to 4 fishing poles with reel , no good.

That leaves me only on my lap. Not gonna be pleasant, but I'll take it any day.

Dan

I'm a little too clean to put a fish below deck, but fish over fifty pounds fit just fine on the Revolution...catching them is another story.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:35 AM   #6
Dan

Worst case (best case) you catch 2 or more really big fish you could probably pull your drive and paddle the kayak in? That Stealth looks pretty roomy too.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:09 AM   #7
da22y

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE View Post
I'm a little too clean to put a fish below deck, but fish over fifty pounds fit just fine on the Revolution...catching them is another story.
Looked like you tie a rope at the tail of the fish ? How to secured it ? I am interested to learn your way.

When The Darkhorse teach, we listen....

da22y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:34 AM   #8
THE DARKHORSE

It's easy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by da22y View Post
Looked like you tie a rope at the tail of the fish ? How to secured it ? I am interested to learn your way.

When The Darkhorse teach, we listen....

Step one: Turn around in your seat facing the bait-tank holding fish on game clip.

Step two: Pull fish straight across the back hatch so the belly is in the center with the head and tail off to either side.

Step three: Pull game clip straight between the Hobie rod holders and Hobie tank until you wedge the head of the fish...make sure to secure the game clip at all times.

Step four: Center the fifty pound plus fish and secure it with the Hobie bungee that's used to secure the rudder during transport. I simply use my gaff to put the Hobie bungee around the tail and slip it over the clip, easy .
Old 03-22-2009, 08:02 PM   #9
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Revo or Stealth? To me it comes down to the basic decision of peddle or paddle. Most of us who ride Hobies are convinced that peddling is the only way to go. Is the Revo perfect? Definately not, but it is still a very nice kayak.

If I were working with the Hobie design team I would lobby for:

Better rod holder placement and design.

Wider, recessed mounting locations on the forward rails, (so the rails remain flat after Ram or similar mounts are installed)

Larger center hatch with bulkheads fore and aft to keep stuff from sliding around.

Install a watertight bulkhead in the front hatch so it could be filled with ice to store fish, (or beer). This could be a removable tray to allow for easy cleaning.

I am sure that other ideas are out there. If you have any, please post. I know that the Hobie folks read this forum.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:26 AM   #10
Trophy Killer
Junior

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE View Post

Damn Big Dog!!! Nice Fish!!! I'd be worried that a seal might mistake the Hobie for the kitchen table. What do you think about instead of opting out for the hobie bait tank I get the Kayatank System and free up some space in the back? Have anyone out there seen or used the Kayatank and what are your thoughts on it. I live in Los Gatos CA and my job is relocating me to Laguna Beach by summer time so I cant stop by the local OEX and pick there brain. Till then
Trophy Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:30 AM   #11
Billy V

These Pics are from a classic BWE Post.

This is Paul's (amsurferoceanbeach) Hobie Adventure.
- A Salty Dog fisherman
As long as the blood doesn't enter the ice chest its all cool.

89 lbs in here.

couple more.

There could possibly come a time when storage becomes a problem. You may have to remove your ice chest and relocate it to the rear well.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote