Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
Kahouna

New season, new tactics??

So I haven't had a chance to make it out in a few weeks. I was going to try and go this week sometime and give it a go. Being the Newb, are there different tactics to catching anything? I've been out a dozen times and managed to catch bait. Is it the same styles, different locations? Same locations, different styles? Is the surf a different animal? Is the swell a different animal once you get out?

I just want to tackle something other than macs, so anything different than what I've been doing has to be an improvement.
Kahouna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:45 PM   #2
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

I assume that you are asking if the "on the water" conditions are any different in places such as La Jolla than where I met you in O'side. The short answer is no, but there are some significant other things to keep in mind.

There is lots of kelp in LJ, providing cover for many types of fish that you will not usually find in Oceanside. And of course, there are our favorite fishing companions, the sea lions who will steal your bait in the blink of an eye. In LJ, you can be fishing in 30 feet, paddle a quarter mile and be sitting over a 1000 foot deep canyon.

The biggest difference for you will be the launch and landing. Strap everything down, use good judgment and you should be fine. Check the surf conditions before you head to LJ. If the swell is larger than three feet or closer together than about 12 seconds, most newbies and many veterans would be well advised to stay home.

Once you have successfully launched, the conditions on the water will be very similar to what you have already experienced. Landings are usually tougher than launches so you might want to practice a bit first.

If you can find someone to pal up with on your first trip or two, everything will probably go a little smoother. If you really want to learn the ropes and have a few extra bucks in your budget, there are a few excellent fishing guides practicing in La Jolla. A day with one of these guys will teach you more than months of trying to learn on your own.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:13 PM   #3
Kahouna

If I go to LJ, I pretty much wanted to know if dragging a mac or two around is still the way to go, or dropping artificials. If cruising the canyon was better, or the kelp on the side or out in front? If I venture out of O'Side again, what to the bouys look like where the structure is?

We met at LJ and pushed that little p/up out of the sand (imagine that). I've only ventured out of O'side once and there was too much boat traffic to make it comfortable for me. My last trip to LJ resulted in a classic dump in five feet of water, losing one pole, getting beaned by my yak as it rolled over me... typical bad landing. I need to get back in the saddle, one way or another and didn't know if there was a different fishing pattern for the seasons.

Thanks though for the hints on the swell though. Always something for me to learn...
Kahouna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:03 PM   #4
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Sorry, I got you mixed up with a guy with a similar handle that I met in Oceanside. I remember the kid in the truck incident. That was interesting.

Anyway all my generic advice still stands. The answers to you latest questions really depend on what is happening on any given day. I am probably not the right guy to give advice on what is working these days as I went 0fer the summer when it comes to anything worth keeping.

I have not been out in a few weeks. I hear that some guys are catching fish these days but it has been dreadfully slow since spring. The best advice I can give you now is to pass on what was told to me when I asked the same questions. Nothing beats time on the water. Eventually you will figure out what works for you.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote