Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2014, 02:44 PM   #1
Amish Ed

Newport, 5-13-14

Landwhale and I launched at 6am to clear skies and a southwind. It was almost chilly, but the sun took care of that real quick. Water was a chilly 61.5º with lots of debris floating around. The current was ripping and I was getting bit, but couldn't stick them. We headed over to one of our favorite spots, the current was barely moving there. I did manage 2 legals in the area though. Both on the 4" FLurry. Chartreuse/gold and Minnow Magic.

The wind had turned onshore at some point making for a wind against current situation that wasn't favorable. Then it switched to an East wind and Steve said it was acting like it would stay. It did. We moved back to our starting spot and the drifts were real quick with that wind. But, I was getting bit. I had a 4" Paddlerz in New Penny on a Sled Head and I managed 4 legals and a short in the next hour or so. Around 9:30 the wind had annoyed us enough that we packed it in. I had to be off the water soon anyways.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:52 AM   #2
blitzburgh

Thanks for the report Ed
Old 05-14-2014, 02:05 PM   #3
Joker11
Junior

So, hi guys, I'm new to posting, but been reading this forum almost daily for about 3 months. Finally got out to late launch out of newport, hoping to drop bait in 200' looking for rock fish, but came up short with a couple sculpin and later, tons of lizards in shallower depths. My query is this. When is a good time to tag along, and where in relation to the harbor bouy out front, are these fabled fish at? Not wanting to jump someone else's gig, but asking someone to pay it forward to another yaker.
Thnx, Oz.
Joker11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:33 PM   #4
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
Landwhale and I launched at 6am to clear skies and a southwind. It was almost chilly, but the sun took care of that real quick. Water was a chilly 61.5º with lots of debris floating around. The current was ripping and I was getting bit, but couldn't stick them. We headed over to one of our favorite spots, the current was barely moving there. I did manage 2 legals in the area though. Both on the 4" FLurry. Chartreuse/gold and Minnow Magic.

The wind had turned onshore at some point making for a wind against current situation that wasn't favorable. Then it switched to an East wind and Steve said it was acting like it would stay. It did. We moved back to our starting spot and the drifts were real quick with that wind. But, I was getting bit. I had a 4" Paddlerz in New Penny on a Sled Head and I managed 4 legals and a short in the next hour or so. Around 9:30 the wind had annoyed us enough that we packed it in. I had to be off the water soon anyways.
I don't know how you are satisfied with only 3 hours or so on the water. Everytime I go out I plan on 6 hours minimum. I think I've been out as much as 9 hours at a time in the summer months. Sometimes I don't even target halibut in the early hours because I don't want to catch one and have to make the choice of releasing it or leaving early to dress it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker11 View Post
So, hi guys, I'm new to posting, but been reading this forum almost daily for about 3 months. Finally got out to late launch out of newport, hoping to drop bait in 200' looking for rock fish, but came up short with a couple sculpin and later, tons of lizards in shallower depths. My query is this. When is a good time to tag along, and where in relation to the harbor bouy out front, are these fabled fish at? Not wanting to jump someone else's gig, but asking someone to pay it forward to another yaker.
Thnx, Oz.

I don't think anyone will give you any specific locations unless you are out there fishing with them. Anytime you can tag along is a good time to do so. Sometimes guys post when they are going out, or you can ask if anyone is going when you are.

And welcome to the forums
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:36 PM   #5
Amish Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
Thanks for the report Ed
It's my pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker11 View Post
Thnx, Oz.
Can't really help as I only fish for bass. I would suggest doing a search of the General forum for rockfish. I know there's been multiple threads about rockfish and Newport. As far as tagging along, Steve and I usually fish Mondays or Tuesdays. Next week we're probably hitting Mission Bay. We'll see about the week after where we end up. When do you fish?
Old 05-14-2014, 09:46 PM   #6
Amish Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
I don't know how you are satisfied with only 3 hours or so on the water. Everytime I go out I plan on 6 hours minimum. I think I've been out as much as 9 hours at a time in the summer months. Sometimes I don't even target halibut in the early hours because I don't want to catch one and have to make the choice of releasing it or leaving early to dress it.

I don't think anyone will give you any specific locations unless you are out there fishing with them. Anytime you can tag along is a good time to do so. Sometimes guys post when they are going out, or you can ask if anyone is going when you are.

And welcome to the forums
Tuesdays I usually have to be off the water early, so it kinda limits my time. Also, at 3 hours my back starts hurting and if the conditions are bad I might not mind too much. 5 hours is probably my normal time on the water. 9 hours and I'd be crawling to my truck
Old 05-14-2014, 10:32 PM   #7
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
Tuesdays I usually have to be off the water early, so it kinda limits my time. Also, at 3 hours my back starts hurting and if the conditions are bad I might not mind too much. 5 hours is probably my normal time on the water. 9 hours and I'd be crawling to my truck
Ah yea getting old sucks. My ass hurt bad after 4 hours until I got an air inflatable cushion. Now I'm good for 6 hours easy, up to 8 or 9. Luckily my back is holding up fine so far. It's just a matter of time I suppose. I'm not sure what seat you have and if one with better back support would help, but 5 hours is alright. Of course if I caught as many fish as you in the short time on the water, I might be content to get off early too.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:57 AM   #8
Amish Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
Ah yea getting old sucks. My ass hurt bad after 4 hours until I got an air inflatable cushion. Now I'm good for 6 hours easy, up to 8 or 9. Luckily my back is holding up fine so far. It's just a matter of time I suppose. I'm not sure what seat you have and if one with better back support would help, but 5 hours is alright. Of course if I caught as many fish as you in the short time on the water, I might be content to get off early too.
Yep, getting old sucks. I'm using the seat that came with my Native. It's actually pretty comfortable. There's one seat that might do better, but I can't afford a new one at this point. As far as fish counts go, thanks. As most of the bass guys don't post reports it's hard to know what's normal.