Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2010, 07:23 PM   #1
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Wednesday 9/1

Less than two weeks until the Moyer tournament. In hopes that I don't totally embarrass myself, I am planning on hitting LJ Wednesday AM to sharpen my very dull skills. Since I need every advantage, I would really appreciate a current fishing report.

Has anyone other than Ladykiller had any recent success? Are the squid still around? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:02 PM   #2
deepdvr

Bob....there are plenty of timely reports on this forum if you look.
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:17 PM   #3
jorluivil

Wish I could make it but I work graveyard M - F, workweek ends Saturday morning at 0630 so I wouldn't make it to LJ until 0930 or so.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:47 PM   #4
lterrero
Leo

I'll be out there Bob! between 7 & 9am.
see ya...
lterrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:46 AM   #5
Nic D

Quote:
Originally Posted by lterrero View Post
I'll be out there Bob! between 7 & 9am.
see ya...
loe means between 10 - 12...
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:49 AM   #6
danny
Danny

boring report

I went out sunday no yt, i lost a huge sheep head last month so i always bring shrimp. I got 4 rock fish and some macs that were as big as my arm, a few short cudas.
danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:16 PM   #7
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Thanks to everyone who PMed with their reports. The information was quiet helpful.

Since it is no longer fashionable to post current reports in this forum, I will go with the flow. I will pass on one thing... I did not get the skunk today, (nothing to brag about but at least I caught something).

The highlight of the day was being in the middle of a dolphin feeding frenzy. There were dozens of the little gray and white ones working a big school of bait. The water was churned to froth as these beautiful animals put on an acrobatic display. The birds an sea lions got into the spirit as well. It was quite a sight to see.

And for those in the betting pool as to when Leo would make it to the launch, well, let's just say that he missed his 7:00 tee time by a healthy margin.

Bob
Old 09-01-2010, 02:07 PM   #8
ReelNasty

we'll all make sure to bring our laptops out on the water next time, so you can have the latest report. lol..
ReelNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:06 PM   #9
roadx

thanks for the report Dsafety
Old 09-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #10
Nic D

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
The highlight of the day was being in the middle of a dolphin feeding frenzy. There were dozens of the little gray and white ones working a big school of bait. The water was churned to froth as these beautiful animals put on an acrobatic display. The birds an sea lions got into the spirit as well. It was quite a sight to see.

And for those in the betting pool as to when Leo would make it to the launch, well, let's just say that he missed his 7:00 tee time by a healthy margin.

Bob
hey Bob, I've heard that being in the middle of a dolphin feeding frenzy is the last place you'd want to be... the tax man be taxing in those places

and as for leo, well I don't think he has an alarm clock
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:55 PM   #11
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamarack Studios View Post
hey Bob, I've heard that being in the middle of a dolphin feeding frenzy is the last place you'd want to be... the tax man be taxing in those places

and as for Leo, well I don't think he has an alarm clock
I don't know about Leo but when I saw him on the water, he seemed to be in the zone. Maybe it was a different time zone.

As for the dolphins, I have been on the water all my life but have never seen anything like this. I suppose it happens all the time and this was my time to be in the audience. This five minute event made the day special.

Imagine a large school of bait being attacked from all sides by some of the fastest, most agile creatures in the sea. I don't know if it was just part of the routine or if these guys were just having fun, but they were doing flips in the air while crashing the bait and doing just about every other dolphin behavior that you might see at Sea World.

The difference was that they were doing it inches from my kayak and all around me. I have been up close and personal with huge whales and surrounded by thousands of Yellowtail in a similar feeding frenzy. This event was in the same class. It made my day.

If the tax man showed up at that moment, it would probably have been worth it.

Bob
Old 09-01-2010, 09:05 PM   #12
wade

Bob,

Not as impressive as the previous one you enjoyed, but here is a brief clip of my encounter today with the whites 1's.. (Whats their correct name?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWSz4K_0BU8

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:12 PM   #13
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
Bob,

Not as impressive as the previous one you enjoyed, but here is a brief clip of my encounter today with the whites 1's.. (Whats their correct name?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWSz4K_0BU8

Based on some other posts, I think they are called Risso's Dolphins. I just call them beautiful. I wish I had pulled out my camera but with the action up close and all around, I do not think any photos would have done the event justice.

Bob
Old 09-02-2010, 12:55 PM   #14
Jim Sammons LJKF

I always love seeing that and never tire of being out there when they are around.
The big, grey at the tail to white at the head with NO bottle nose are Rissos. The ones we tend to see in the largest pods, which are much smaller with a lighter grey side are Common Dolphin. Then the bigger grey with the bottle nose are of course Bottle nose, generally in much small groups.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:14 PM   #15
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sammons LJKF View Post
I always love seeing that and never tire of being out there when they are around.
The big, grey at the tail to white at the head with NO bottle nose are Rissos. The ones we tend to see in the largest pods, which are much smaller with a lighter grey side are Common Dolphin. Then the bigger grey with the bottle nose are of course Bottle nose, generally in much small groups.
These must have been Common Dolphin. None was longer than about five feet. I did see some really large dark curved dorsal fins out in the distance. Hard to say how large but they were much bigger than these little guys. Maybe they were the Risso's.

Bob
Old 09-02-2010, 02:34 PM   #16
eekamouse463

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
Thanks to everyone who PMed with their reports. The information was quiet helpful.

Since it is no longer fashionable to post current reports in this forum, I will go with the flow. I will pass on one thing... I did not get the skunk today, (nothing to brag about but at least I caught something).

Bob

Same here just a couple of calicos in the pm trip hopefully tomorrow
eekamouse463 is offline   Reply With Quote