Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2014, 06:24 AM   #1
Yakety Yak
Junior

New to kayak and west coast fishing - tips/advice?

Hi everybody. Like the title says, I am new to kayak fishing and all my other fishing experience was on the east coast fishing in ponds and creeks for bass and pike.

My kayak should be coming in this week and looking to get out as soon as possible. Probably going to start in Los Alamitos bay to get my feet wet.

I was looking for any tips as far as fishing out here starting out in the calmer waters. Any specific lures or setups that would be best to start with?

I'll post before I head out to see if anybody is interested in joining.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any advice.
Yakety Yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:25 AM   #2
StinkyMatt

Welcome to California.

You will be surprised how many techniques and gear work just as well out here.

Bass fishing in fresh and salt is similar in many regards. Bring your medium/ light setup to Alamitos and throw whatever jigs, lures, spinners you have......sand spotted and calico bass will hit it.

There are some more specific ways to target fish....Hali's on live bait, fly lining...others...

Do not spend money on gear before you know what to buy. Buy some used gear on here...you will save a bundle and get what is commonly used out here.

One thing that many west coast guys do is buy gear that is way way too big and heavy.

Have fun, post up.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:48 AM   #3
5-20

Was kinda in the same yak as you a year ago when i moved here. Had always fished for bass, almost all of the time, really, with the occasional (2-5 x a year) saltwater trip mixed in. It was a little daunting at first walking into all of those saltwater oriented tackle stores around here and feeling a little stupid, not really knowing what i needed or should be looking for.

But the forums are your best friend, initially. Bloodydecks is another site with tons of great info stored.

The people at squidco are great and will help you get some basic gear together.

But yeah, if you're going to start out in the bay, your bass gear will work just fine.

You might want to hold off on buying any type of expensive gear for the bigger fish until you have an idea of what you really need and the type of fishing you're really going to want to do the most. But it seems like a 7' rod rated for 20-50 with a size 30 reel is something that everyone has in their arsenal so thats where you might want to start. You'll be able to do a little of everything with that type of rod/reel.

Welcome to san diego, dude!
5-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:10 PM   #4
Yakety Yak
Junior

Thanks guys. Hopefully I run into a few of the people from forums while I'm on the water.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:42 PM   #5
Yakety Yak
Junior

Forgot to mention this part.

I went to OEX in Sunset Beach and talked with Andy. He answered all the questions I had, let me demo a few different yaks and then helped me get all setup with the malibu stealth 12 I ended up purchasing. Great guy and I would recommend him to anybody looking to get it kayaking/kayak fishing and all you salty old timers as well.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:05 PM   #6
Rufus

Eventually you'll buy a Hobie.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:10 PM   #7
IN2DEEP

I've had good luck dropshotting Berkley Gulp Jerk Shads in the bays when I was float tubing there
Trolled deep diving crankbaits can be very effective...
Old 07-13-2014, 09:18 PM   #8
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Eventually you'll buy a Hobie.
X2
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote