Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2014, 08:42 AM   #1
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

SD bay, Sunday 3/17/14

Got geared up to go and made it to 7-11 by 5:30. Grabbed a few snacks, a red bull and off I went. I normally stop by Jack in the Box and grab an Ultimate breakfast sandwich, but since I gave up red meat for lent, couldn't do that. Hummm, let's see. I have to eat. Oh there's a Del Taco with "New" turkey tacos. Grabbed three and off I went.

Made it to Spanish Landing, and while trying to choke down those terrible tacos, realized that with all the preparation the night before, I had neglected to remember my license. Humm, what to do. Being only 15-20 min away from the house, I yeilded to head back and get my license. As everyone knows, you rarely get checked when you do have it, but when you don't, it's bound to happen.

Got back to the lauch roughly 30 min later and launched with a couple of tubers. Made a brief conversation, and off we were. I quickly seperated from them, and dropped down a 4in grub on one outfit, and a 5" fluke on the other. Saw a few yakers out, and made my way around the bend.

The water was very active, with Mac's jumping around chasing smelt, with a few Cuda's in the mix. 10 min into my trip, my grub rod goes bendo, and I get my first fish of the day, a Cuda about 20". Premature quick release, and I drop back down. Didn't get another hit for a while.

During my wait, I remembered that DennisMorgan and son LantzMorgan would be launching around 7:30, so I made my way down to shelter island to introduce myself. After the meet and greet, I decided to make my way back down to Harbor Island to target the all elusive Halibut. They are starting to show, and I have had good luck here before, but from shore, so with my Yak, should be a piece of cake.

Long story short, I managed to land 2 short butts and 1 short spottie. The rest of the time, I was fighting off the Lizardfish. I swear I had to catch about 30-40 of them. I couldn't get my bait to the bottom, without my bait being mangled. No pics of the fish, as everyone knows what short fish look like.

Good time on the water, and can't wait for the bay to heat up. Oh yea, on my way back I saw Dmrides and the little one. Glad he got on a fish or two.

Until next time... Tight lines.
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:03 AM   #2
Big T
Member, You Member!

Nice report! Like how you went out of your way to meet some new people.

Something came to mind when you mentioned going back to get your license. I may be misinformed, but one of the license issuers from a couple of years back said that because of the new computerized system that if you have the license or ID you used to get the license that it can serve as a back up to the actual license.

Is that true? I have my license always pinned into my water pocket so I don't forget it but since I was told that infro, I don't "worry" about it I guess. I could just be ignorant on the "actual" rules.
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:04 AM   #3
YakDout
Brandon

Maybe try jigging up a couple macs next time. The big halibut will eat em and the lizards will be scared of em.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:18 AM   #4
BigTunaL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T View Post

Something came to mind when you mentioned going back to get your license. I may be misinformed, but one of the license issuers from a couple of years back said that because of the new computerized system that if you have the license or ID you used to get the license that it can serve as a back up to the actual license.

Is that true? I have my license always pinned into my water pocket so I don't forget it but since I was told that infro, I don't "worry" about it I guess. I could just be ignorant on the "actual" rules.
Would a photo of the license stored on a smart phone be accepted maybe? I was pulled over by a cop the other day and didn't have a proof of insurance on me, I had my wife text it to me and it was accepted.
BigTunaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:31 AM   #5
blitzburgh

Way to get out here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTunaL View Post
Would a photo of the license stored on a smart phone be accepted maybe? I was pulled over by a cop the other day and didn't have a proof of insurance on me, I had my wife text it to me and it was accepted.
I wouldn’t risk it. This is the same agency that ticketed guys for having Salmon heads for hooping in So Cal, with no Salmon Stickers for their fishing license...allegedly.fficeffice" />>>
Old 03-17-2014, 10:05 AM   #6
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T View Post

Of course the one day my son forgot his license we were approached and checked. Everything on their end is computerized but the agents in the field do not have a way to run your drivers license to check. He said there wasn't enough in the budget or something to give all the agents portable computers or whatever. We had to leave the lake.

This reminds me, you should have your drivers license with you as well as your fishing license so they can verify that the fishing license you have actually belongs to you.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe

Last edited by alanw; 03-24-2014 at 07:51 PM.
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:08 AM   #7
kauaiboy04

sounds like not too shabby of a day! all these reports with some beautiful weather, and i didn't get in on it..

http://socalkayak.blogspot.com
kauaiboy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:05 PM   #8
Amish Ed

Good job on meeting so many new people. I'm so bad at that. Too much of an introvert I suppose. If I fished meat, I'd drop those lizards back down as bait.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:12 PM   #9
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Maybe try jigging up a couple macs next time. The big halibut will eat em and the lizards will be scared of em.
I tried for a few macs, but the lizards were on the chew, and these weren't bait sized. Some pushed 14". The only mac I did catch was on the grub, and it was so late in the day that I had given up on fishing live. Mac was a pretty good size too so that didn't help.

Wanted to go try the jetty with a stop by the bait barge first, but that wind has been pretty bad. I'm sure Irishman can attest.
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote