Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2014, 07:05 AM   #1
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

Super Plastics

A while back someone posted a thread about swimbaits and plastics and there was a video attached of some plastics that can be stretched like crazy and won't break compared to others. I am looking at expanding my inventory beyond big hammers and want to try something that's reputable. Also looking into Zman but I can't remember if that's what was the main one on that thread or not. Any info would be much appreciated, thank you.
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:11 AM   #2
MrPatrick

Those are the Z-Man lures
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:11 AM   #3
YakDout
Brandon

YouTube search Zman elaztech.
I think that's what you're looking for.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:15 AM   #4
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

Awesome, thank you! I thought that was right but just wanted to double-check. I was meaning to ask them at Fred Hall but completely forgot about it until I got home.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:15 AM   #5
YakDout
Brandon

I've never actually used them, but have stretched them myself. They are made of really good material. I have heard from a lot of people that the buoyancy can be a problem. Especially if dropshotting.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:16 AM   #6
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
YouTube search Zman elaztech.
I think that's what you're looking for.
BINGO You got it.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:55 AM   #7
CheapPelican

...)
Old 03-13-2014, 11:19 AM   #8
buddha

I need to try these more locally. The gulp plastics worked a lot better for me in Baja. I hardly got any love at all.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:28 PM   #9
wade

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
I've never actually used them, but have stretched them myself. They are made of really good material. I have heard from a lot of people that the buoyancy can be a problem. Especially if dropshotting.
I feel the opposite is the case with ElaZtech buoyancy.
Almost all other plastic baits fall dead limp right to the bottom.
Z-Man’s baits remain lifelike no matter their application. The super stretchy ElaZtech material actually also makes their baits appear super lifelike and quiver upon the slightest twitch. Their buoyancy allows theirs baits to stand up off the floor and asks to be eaten! Their CrawdadZ claws stand up on their own begging to be attacked in a natural crayfish defense position, as well as all their swimbaits,worms & much more. Your dropshot baits will stand at attention at whatever water column you want to present and suspend your baitZ at with or without a weighted EWG or any of your preferred hooks/jighead.
Z-Man also has salt impregnated versions in some their extensive bait line ups to help in sinking/casting for subsurface applications like the ZinkerZ wormZ, Finesse WormZ, Palmetto BugZ, StreakZ XL & Scented Jerk ShadZ, ect..

"A plastic fishing bait is no good if fish can’t see it! Unlike other plastic fishing baits, ElaZtech is a naturally buoyant material that floats off the bottom and creates a more visible target. A more visible target means more strikes and more fish-catching opportunities. With traditional plastic fishing baits, this means going through a lot of soft plastics. ElaZtech baits, however, maintain their fishability despite all the abuse, and also boasts one of the highest fish-per-bait ratings in the industry. To top it off, ElaZtech,Xunlike most other soft fishing baits, is non-toxic and contains no PVC, Plastisol or Phthalates."

Luke Clausen 2006 Bassmaster Classic Champion

Last edited by wade; 03-14-2014 at 05:28 PM.
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:34 PM   #10
StinkyMatt

I heard great things about Zman products.

However, having a guy on one of the videos wearing the company shirt may not be the most credible source of info.

Like having a Chevy dealer tell you that the Camaro is the best car out there.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:09 PM   #11
Amish Ed

Hey Wade. Have you used the Paddlerz on a Sled Head. I just tried the Paddlerz for the first time the other day. Really liked them on the slip jig. But, with the 5" on a Sled Head I could not get the fish to stick. I probably missed 30 fish on the hook set. Just ended up with my pants being pulled down constantly.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:23 PM   #12
MrPatrick

I find that the Zs grab hooks and don't let go. That may be why the sled head isn't as effective. The material doesn't slide down the hook for good point exposure.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:16 AM   #13
easyday

Zman is about the only plastic I use anymore. That and about 2 other companies that I found work great in different situations. I have caught more bass consistently with the zman stuff than any of the other baits, they really do last forever I can have one on my hook for several trips and it still works. Just dont store them with you average big hammer plastic, the zman plastics will melt and make a mess.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:40 PM   #14
wade

Z

Which would you you eat??
(Left: Z-Man) • (Right: The Competition..)

Hard LegZ or Pop FrogZ u can even use a 8/0 hook and the frog will still float up off the pads and muck for an amazing surface bait..
& with any weighted EWG style hooks, you can pass the hooks banana weights right through any Z-Man bait without it tearing and keep and even keel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
I heard great things about Zman products.
However, having a guy on one of the videos wearing the company shirt may not be the most credible source of info.
Like having a Chevy dealer tell you that the Camaro is the best car out there.

I hear ya loud & clear & feel the exact same about random hype & BS propaganda, Matt. But those aren’t employees, & that sure isn’t a company Tshirt. That is a Bassmaster Classic CHAMPION wearing his tournament shirt from beating the competition with Z-Man Fishing Products. Someone has to tell it like it IS. Chevy sure aint gonna tout Toyota’s success. For an automotive analogy, its more like a race with stock Chevy straight off the lot trying to chase a Lamborghini..

Unbiased
http://www.in-fisherman.com/2014/03/...finesse-shadz/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
Hey Wade. Have you used the Paddlerz on a Sled Head. I just tried the Paddlerz for the first time the other day. Really liked them on the slip jig. But, with the 5" on a Sled Head I could not get the fish to stick. I probably missed 30 fish on the hook set. Just ended up with my pants being pulled down constantly.
Yes, I rig them that way too, and never have a problem with hook sets. The baits are so much softer that the competitions, that even if I burry them weedless or Texas ect, I get my hooks inhaled!..
For several years I have been mentioning this tackle problem with proper matching leads & hooks. There are gangly looking sleds with improper shanks, fulcrums that come unbuttoned, or drop poorly from a quick pour. Just the placement and direction of the hook eye is paramount in design. We put so much time & attention into the smaller line up -2 oz, but nothing of high quality for our larger and smarter friends?..I have asked around the pouring community, and only one manufacturer even seemed interested. Within the next few months I hope to report back on some new goods for bigger baitZ!..
R&D & C&R..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPatrick View Post
I find that the Zs grab hooks and don't let go. That may be why the sled head isn't as effective. The material doesn't slide down the hook for good point exposure.
With a bait keeper style hook, the ElaZtech material will grab and won't move. no need for that superglue trick to keep the top of the bait attached to your jighead.
The stereotypical ‘short-bites’ that normally cause your bait to be bitten in half after 1-2 fish is really annoying with the other plastics....
In the case with Z-Man, I have landed fish after fish with nasty teeth simply by the soft tails durometer grabbing their teeth and not letting go! The ElaZtech material also allows for really cool cut-outs, like their segmented super kungfu kicking’ swim bait called their scented PaddlerZ infused with Pro-Cure bait specific gel(s). The ElaZtech material really soaks it up. (I also found that adding a skirt to my jigs offerings increased my hookups twenty fold, It increases the overall bait profile, can pass off as a crustacean or fin bait, Added flash of a imitation bait school, and it also really helps to hold & disperse all the extra Unibutter I add to it. If I can feel the butta’ still on the skirt after twenty+ casts, Im pretty sure it still smells good too!…Most of Z-Man’s baits come with dorsal fin(s) / hook protector slots for a wide variety of weedless applications & belly cavity slots for unlimited rigging possibilities..

ElaZtech isn’t the only winning Z-Man combo…I’ve caught everything from LMB, Calicos, Spottys, Halibut & even a Tarpon on their amazing Chatterbait swim jigs. Lots of imitators, but only one Original.
ChatterBait Elite Nets Largest Bag in Bassmaster Classic History

http://www.bassresource.com/bass_fis...bait-3414.html

UV
Fish's eyes differ from ours in that some species are believed to detect UV light and how it reflects from objects, in turn enhancing their vision when it comes to feeding. In addition to the UV coloration that happens naturally, Z-Man also has target specific natural scented baits from Pro-Cure that also adds another UV agent into the mix.

Just like with Daiwa’s Sealines, when there is a bulletproof fishing product out there thats the best & worth promoting, say it loud..Z-MAN

Last edited by wade; 03-14-2014 at 07:55 PM.
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:48 PM   #15
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

So I've been reading reviews online and watching videos and I think I'm going to pull the trigger and purchase some Zman plastics. My only issue is that I'm used to throwing BigHammers and the colors are completely different with Zman. I'm looking at starting with some plastics for fishing the kelp for Calicos and up to 30' outside the kelp for Sandbass, what's the best way to rig and best colors to start with? I'm used to just rigging leadheads but with Zman it looks like there are many more options.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2014, 03:52 PM   #16
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildernessWanker View Post
So I've been reading reviews online and watching videos and I think I'm going to pull the trigger and purchase some Zman plastics. My only issue is that I'm used to throwing BigHammers and the colors are completely different with Zman. I'm looking at starting with some plastics for fishing the kelp for Calicos and up to 30' outside the kelp for Sandbass, what's the best way to rig and best colors to start with? I'm used to just rigging leadheads but with Zman it looks like there are many more options.

I would say try dropshotting the grubs and swim baits for the deeper water try 1oz war bait heads. A little scent or squid doesn't hurt.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:59 PM   #17
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

Am I better off with Paddlerz or Swimmerz? Dropshotting I can do though, thanks for the advice. Funny thing is I have only tried the dropshot in the harbor, it's never occurred to me outside that. I will have to try Zman grubs though on the dropshot.

Last edited by WildernessWanker; 03-16-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:15 PM   #18
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildernessWanker View Post
Am I better off with Paddlerz or Swimmerz? Dropshotting I can do though, thanks for the advice. Funny thing is I have only tried the dropshot in the bay, it's never occurred to me outside that. I will have to try Zman grubs though on the dropshot.

I don't know what the difference between the two are, but if you're primarily kayak fishing, I'd stick with the bigger ones. I like to weed out the dink bass. Especially if you're going to be using in deep water with 3/4 - 2 oz head
Old 03-16-2014, 06:30 PM   #19
Fishin Phil

Z Man

I have used these super plastics for years now. I got tired of always changing out the regular plastics when they broke after a few fish. I have the swim baits, worms with curly tails, crawdads, paddlers and the grubs. They work great and they can catch 20 to 25 bass before they start to show any wear and tear. I disagree with the drop shot. I cast the drop shot out let it hit bottom and drag it back in very slowly keeping it near the bottom.
Baby bass, white, new penny and motor oil are all good colors. You can buy them from Z man but you pay a dollar more. Go to their web site and then you can find the dealers that carry them. I order through Z man and stock up. I get the sizes and colors I want and I found the dealers do not always have that variety. I have a box of them in my cabinet in stand by. Do not mix them with regular plastics because they will melt.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:58 PM   #20
YakDout
Brandon

A lot of people fish the dropshot in shallow water, but I think it's actually utilized a little better in the deeper water. Think about it. You're in 60 feet of water with a fluke tied to a dropshot. When you slack the line up it's basically weightless, besides the hook. You are maximizing the action of the platic by having no weight on it. Small twitches with a little slack in the line does it for me everytime. I've used up to 1.5 oz of weight deep water dropshotting. The weight is just to get it back to the bottom faster. The real action comes when you give it a little line.