Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
619-SWIM-DOG

Bait tube???

Hey guys seen alot of bait tanks used here. I am coming from Maui and used a bait tube. I am a nob when it comes to what bait to catch around here and if a bait tube is worth rocking. Just trying to Get some input so I know what works to catch and hold bait. Thanks
619-SWIM-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:38 PM   #2
tacmik

If I'm fishing La Jolla and using mackerel. I prefer using my bait tube. In the bays using sardines or anchovies, I use my bait tank.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:21 AM   #3
salty pirate

bait tube's work fine for mac's, sardine not so much. I like the tank so I only have to make 1 stop to make bait.
salty pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:31 AM   #4
TJones

I have one of these Plano

Bait buckets I am trying to get rid of. You just tie it off to yak.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #5
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

as others stated, bait tubes work awesome for using macs (catching yt, wsb, sharks, and maybe big halibut)

sardines dont live so well in the bait tube. and i honestly think sardines can catch more fish than macs can
Old 07-21-2013, 05:07 PM   #6
Hobie-Pedaller
Fish On !!!

as noted above, "tubes" are great for Macs, to use for inshore fishing.
the Macs will live all day long, if not overcrowded into tube.

and i always use TWO (2) tubes, one on each side of my yak, so i can collect more bait during that process, to have for later.

PVC bait tubes are much simpler to load, carry, and haul around the water on a yak, than an actual bait "tank" with battery, elect wiring, inlet & outlet tubing, etc.

for this reason, i always use my 2 tubes, when fishing LJ, IF THE BAIT COMMONLY BEING CAUGHT IN PRECEDING DAYS, IS PRIMARILY MACS.

but a tube is not going to do so well with Sardines, and probably would not work for live squid at all.

so when previous day's/week's fishermen are catching live squid in LJ, i will take the bait tank, and deal with the extra weight and effort reqd of the battery powerer tank.

i only fish artificial baits in Bays. so i never take "tubes" or "tank" out with me there. but if someone wants to use live Sardines in Bays, then likely they will need a tank, over a tube.

PS - i have never tried the floating Plano minnow buckets in saltwater.
but i suspect they would be better for Sardines, than are the bait "tubes". but their draw back would likely be that you have the thing tied off on a short cord, and floating around your yak, potentially tangling with your fishing lines, etc.

i can tie my tubes up close to yak, where they just stay right against sides of my yak, and never drift away from kayak to interfere with my fishing lines going out.

Kayak Fishing is a DRUG.... and I'm addicted !!
Hobie-Pedaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:40 PM   #7
easyday

Found a pretty lomg bait tube out at the tidelands today floating around. Looks like I just got new tubed for 3 of my lobster nets.