Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2014, 02:34 PM   #1
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

BEWARE OF LIFEGUARD POACHERS!!!!

Hey question: Who legally has the authority to ask for our fishing license?

a) anyone and their mamma
b) life guards
c) fish and wildlife
d) the popo

http://www.wonews.com/t-SouthernCASa...ch_072314.aspx

Hey, you can’t take my fish!

BY PHIL FRIEDMAN/Special to Western Outdoor News

Published: Jul 23, 2014

Print This Article
Email This Article
Digg This Article

NEWPORT BEACH — What seemed like any other day in Newport Beach suddenly changed when the cry of “shark” went out around 3 p.m. near 8th St. at Balboa Beach. Everyone there got out of the water as quickly as possible – except 14-year-old Chase Jaramillio from Newport Beach.

Jaramillo, a pinhead on a local sportfishing boat, immediately recognized the shark as a thresher shark and instead headed toward the estimated 60-pound creature. Jaramillio bare-handed the shark by the tail, and with the help of a few waves wrestled the shark on to the beach surrounded by a crowd of curious onlookers.

tsharkchase1

tsharkchase2
FOURTEEN-YEAR-OLD Chase Jaramillio from Newport Beach with his shark, that suddenly wasn’t his, and eventually ended up at the Dory Fleet Fish Market after being confiscated by lifeguards.

Although some of the crowd asked Jaramillio to return the shark to the sea, he knew the shark was probably sick and dying and thought it would be a waste. His thoughts now turned to a family barbecue.

That’s when a group of Newport Beach lifeguards arrived and confiscated Jaramillio’s prize, saying that he was lucky wardens with the California Fish and Wildlife were not present as they would have demanded that Jaramillo show evidence of his fishing license. Jaramillo explained to no avail as they took the shark away that a California fishing license is not required for youths 16 and under.

“I told ’em, ‘Hey man, you guys are stealing my fish!’’” said Jaramillo.

Now, the California Department of Fish and Wildlife is investigating how the shark, after being confiscated by the lifeguards ended up at the Dory Fleet Fish Market.

You can hear the interview on Phil Friedman Outdoors Radio with Jaramillo by going to: http://pforadio.com/audioreport/teen...es-shark-hand/

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:54 PM   #2
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Now that IS lame, can you say FIRED!!!!

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:06 PM   #3
fishingfiend

This is messed up on so many levels. I would have told them to F-Off and to call the real police to straighten things out! Now reselling the fish without a commercial license is going to make this even more interesting. Someone has some explaining to do and a fine to pay! I hope Newport Court throws the book at the idiot who stole and then commercially gained from this stolen property.

On a side note, not sure I would eat a thresher or any other fish that was sick enough to beach themselves.
fishingfiend is offline   Reply With Quote