Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2013, 10:48 PM   #1
CKallday71

Bringing up an old Topic Tandem Kayaks. Hobie, Oasis, Outback, and Big Tuna.

I searched the archives and can see that last year there was some discussion over Oasis or Outfitter tandems. I currently rock a 2013 Outback and LOVE it! I'm considering a Tandem so I can take my nephews fishing with me. I love the Hobies but I was also looking at the Jackson Big Tuna.

So with this in mind, who has one to add?
Old 06-17-2013, 06:28 AM   #2
bigbarrels

Wilderness 130 is a good one......just missing a Mirage drive......water tight, paddles well and can be used as a single as well
Old 06-17-2013, 08:16 AM   #3
StinkyMatt

Outfitter super stable, you can stand in it. Rides very low in the water, especially the guy in the back.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
Siebler

The 130 and Pro 2 have always been staples for us but lately we cant even keep the Big Tuna in stock, everybody absolutely loves them!

We have a demo of all 3 at OEX Mission Bay.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:39 AM   #5
CKallday71

Do you guys have one that I could demo on Tuesday?
Old 06-17-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
easyday

Ive paddled the big tuna awesome yak its a bit heavy but Its a super comfy ride.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #7
JarrodMc

I don't have experience on the other boats but the Big Tuna is sweet. The livewell and the repositionable seats really make it versatile for a lot of different uses. Best bet would be to go to OEX and try them out so you can make your own decision on what works for you.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #8
FishNinjaY

I have the Oasis, and mainly fish with my 9-yr old son. It's great. It moves better than the Outfitter, but.. it is a bit more tippy from side-to-side. My son is big enough to help with the pedalling, and knows to keep his head midline. If your planning on having younger kids that you might have to scoot forward to tend to them.. maybe the more stable Outfitter might be better. It's not as fast gliding thru the water, but it's wider, more stable, and roomier. It's probably a better fishing platform also. (as far as tandem kayaks can be, for fishing)

I know nothing about that Big Tuna.. but I will say that with kids, you have to always expect them to poop out on you, and not pedal or paddle , .. so you may have to plan on doing all the work from time-to-time... Having both pedals & paddles make it nicer. Just a thought
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #9
MrPatrick

The cobra tandem paddled ok, but the hull design and deck design are from the Dark Ages!
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:17 PM   #10
momo fish

that is my 2 main reasons to want to get it as well. But hate the weight issues.. Need to test it and compare to hobie models..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrodMc View Post
I don't have experience on the other boats but the Big Tuna is sweet. The livewell and the repositionable seats really make it versatile for a lot of different uses. Best bet would be to go to OEX and try them out so you can make your own decision on what works for you.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote