Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
bad brady

La Jolla Sunday

Any of you guys gonna be out there? Trying my first beach launch and open water trip. Hoping I can tag along with somebody. Hopefully learn a thing or two.
bad brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
captnblood34

Ill be there. I'll probably roll up at 7ish.... Well before my lucky get-bent-time
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
bad brady

I'll be on a gray fnd. Should be there about 6:30.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #4
bad brady

Ok I won't tag along you won't even know I'm there unless............
Old 06-15-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
bad brady

Anybody have advice on launching?
Old 06-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #6
captnblood34

For your first time: If the surf is low, which it will be push your kayak into shin deep water, get in and time your paddling to get through the surf without taking waves to the face or putting yourself in front of a breaking wave. You'll be fine tomorrow but this is good practice for those days when the surf is 4-6 and you REALLY want to get out there. You'll learn from both your victories and failures.

Good luck & tight lines
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #7
bad brady

Thanks that's what I was looking for.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #8
bad brady

I hear the beach landings are harder. Any advice there?
Old 06-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #9
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
50 years ago my little brother built us a couple paddle boards to fish from. He put a handle on the stern. Time to come in we would slide to backend of board and hold on, never had a problem, can't see why it won't work with kayak. You get wet but would be safe.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #10
salty pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad brady View Post
don't turn sideways to the wave's. tie your chit down! don't forget the shade's on you head

a bit of practice in the surf with no gear is a good way find out what works.

lj is a fairly well protected cove, its rare for the surf to be over 2ft.
salty pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #11
Irishman

I am planning my first go out tomorrow at LJ also. Will be there as early as 5:30 or so. Would be cool to paddle out with someone else also.
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #12
kaya_one

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad brady View Post
Brady,
As for landing, wait outside the breaking waves and try to get some timing on when they are coming in. Patience is key and just wait and time them out. Small waves Sunday so may not be much to wait for. Don't ride a wave in as it will most likely push you sideways and roll you - rather paddle in between the waves as they roll in. Best to put all rods down and not in the rocket launchers.
Enjoy the day!
kaya_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:12 PM   #13
bad brady

Thanks kaya. See you there Irish. Tight lines.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #14
Cbad Mike

I will probably be there pretty early. Green Malibu. Don't worry about or lose any sleep about the launch or landing tomorrow, It should be real easy. On channel 68 as always.
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:14 PM   #15
Irishman

Just finished loading up and wife and daughter stoke me out with early Father's Day gift...handheld VHF, stoked!!!
Will see you guys in the morning, driving black frontier with white xfactor on top
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:34 AM   #16
wbrewski

comming back in

I never had a problem going out , but I have rolled 3 out of 4 times comming back in. watch the waves that sneek up on you back.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:20 PM   #17
GregAndrew

Here is a stab at kayak landing in the surf.
1)As you approach the surf zone watch where the largest wave break.
That will set the starting point of your attack.
2) Watch how the sets work. A good rule of thumb is to watch the beach for the time when the water rolls as far up as it will. That will usually be within a wave or two of the end of the set. Although multiple swells can really mix things up.
3)Watch what is happening behind you more than you watch in front. Pick a spot to land that is clear so you can focus on what is important.
4) Back paddling is an important aspect of good landing technique. You can punch through backwards just like forward (for those instances where a wave is going to catch you).
5)If a wave, that you cannot back paddle through, is going to catch you then paddle forward at a slight angle to the wave. One of two things will happen (or both): You will start to ride the wave, and/or it will turn you sideways. If you start to ride the wave, then by all means, let out a YEEHAW! If you turn sideways, then lean into the wave bracing yourself with your paddle extended deep into the wave. (when loaded down, I prefer to come in sideways when a wave catches me from behind).
The 2 crucial elements when a breaking wave is going to catch you are that you need forward momentum when it catches you, and you must commit to the lean fully. With no momentum, the wave will draw you to the peak and dump you down, or just break right on top of you. Without a definite lean, you will tip over towards the beach.

This is my experience, although I have only used an OK Trident 15 paddle kayak for my learning curve.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:03 PM   #18
Deamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Here is a stab at kayak landing in the surf.
1)As you approach the surf zone watch where the largest wave break.
That will set the starting point of your attack.
2) Watch how the sets work. A good rule of thumb is to watch the beach for the time when the water rolls as far up as it will. That will usually be within a wave or two of the end of the set. Although multiple swells can really mix things up.
3)Watch what is happening behind you more than you watch in front. Pick a spot to land that is clear so you can focus on what is important.
4) Back paddling is an important aspect of good landing technique. You can punch through backwards just like forward (for those instances where a wave is going to catch you).
5)If a wave, that you cannot back paddle through, is going to catch you then paddle forward at a slight angle to the wave. One of two things will happen (or both): You will start to ride the wave, and/or it will turn you sideways. If you start to ride the wave, then by all means, let out a YEEHAW! If you turn sideways, then lean into the wave bracing yourself with your paddle extended deep into the wave. (when loaded down, I prefer to come in sideways when a wave catches me from behind).
The 2 crucial elements when a breaking wave is going to catch you are that you need forward momentum when it catches you, and you must commit to the lean fully. With no momentum, the wave will draw you to the peak and dump you down, or just break right on top of you. Without a definite lean, you will tip over towards the beach.

This is my experience, although I have only used an OK Trident 15 paddle kayak for my learning curve.

I'm taking notes from the master. A man who fears no wave and sometimes turns back around to try it again...word. Me? I dump it OFTEN. Once you've got your first under your belt and you find out the beachgoers aren't going to point and laugh at you...it's not the end of the world. Tie everything down before you come in and if your do dump it, flip the yak back over before the next wave hits you...no biggie really.

As I approach shore, I respectfully feel like the brave men in the 9-11 plane that attempted to take back control from the hijackers..."Lets roll". Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:30 PM   #19
TJones

Real quick

Lots of experience between the two of them . Couple other pointers. Wear your life vest and snug it down real good to protect your ribs. And never get in between the wave and the yak.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:34 PM   #20
GregAndrew

That is "never let your kayak get between you and the wave".
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote