Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
dc1983

Checkout my new seat!!!!!!!!!!

I wanted a new seat for the yak, and I saw on the Innovations thread where someone used one of the Bass Pro shop boat seats. Well i just happened to have a $25 giftt card. So I went to Bass Pro yesterday and picked one up. Then spent half the night last night rigging it up.

Which brings me to the test drive today seat works great, and A Halibut was hungry. The picking was very slow today in Dana Point talked with several guys out on the water and they were having a hard time finding the fish. I got to the boat ramp around 7 and managed one 15 in kelp bass by noon. So I called the wife to telll her I was coming home. She was shopping so i decided to stay out for a little longer. As soon as i hung up with her i dropped a Sardine to the bottom and before I could put the Rod in the rod holder my line took off. Once I started reeling in it felt like I was stuck on the bottom again. Then came the head shakes. Got her to the side of the yak and realized my gaff, net, and fish grippers were still stowed away. Once i finally got the Gaff out I couldn't figure out were to sink it so i just hooked him in the mouth. THIS WAS A BAD IDEA!!! He went balistic then back to the bottom. When I finally got him back to the surface I gaffed him and in the yak he came.

36.5 inches
17.5 #

This is a personal best for halibut and any fish Saltwater or Freshwater.

so needles to say just finished eating so Halibut steak.
Tight lines
Attached Images

dc1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #2
RK

Rad catch...For future reference you need to gaff it in the belly right where the organs are. It is the most bizarre thing it completely paralyzed them even the big ones, secure the game clip slide onto yak put leg over halibut tail and proceed to pound the holy hell out of its head with a small bat until your sonar is covered in brain matter.... That is the safest way to have a big halibut in board .
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:10 PM   #3
Devildawgjj
Kayak BOOT

How does the seat feel....? More importantly, can you take it off? It looks like my 5th grade math chair

Good job on staying focused! You have a good-looking fish there. Are you trying to sell at Hogan's ?
Devildawgjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
Vikingj

dc,

I saw your bad a*s hali at DP kayak dock and it was a monster! That is one to be proud of - ones that big aren't easy to land unless you know what you are doing and you obviously did! (or was it just that lucky, new seat? ).
You're right about it being a slow day-I fished 6hrs for a couple bass and one hali rake. Talked to about a half dozen guys that got nada or just a single bass. It definitely was your day! Congrats!
Wayne
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
dc1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildawgjj View Post
How does the seat feel....? More importantly, can you take it off? It looks like my 5th grade math chair

Good job on staying focused! You have a good-looking fish there. Are you trying to sell at Hogan's ?
The seat is awesome. It has a detachable base so I can take it off. I took the fish to Hogans to get it weighed.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
StinkyMatt

Congrats on the PIG!

I need a seat like that!
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
GregAndrew

Nice Hali. More often than not, the prize is lost when digging for the landing tools. Good job keeping cool and getting the job done. What RK said about the landing, but also keep the weight of the fish supported by the gaff until you have clipped it, unhooked it and popped a gill. I prefer not to brain my fish unless there is a potential problem with Sea Lions and/or Sharks (I would rather have them bleed out as much as possible).
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #8
buttchaser
Float Tuber

Awesome ! congrats on your PB !
buttchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #9
bellcon

Not so sure about the seat
but I'm loving the big brown fish!
congrats on a new personal best
Old 03-10-2012, 10:06 PM   #10
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
What RK said about the landing, but also keep the weight of the fish supported by the gaff until you have clipped it, unhooked it and popped a gill.
I don't know why but I have this weird urge to agree with this.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:22 PM   #11
RK

Quote:
I prefer not to brain my fish unless there is a potential problem with Sea Lions and/or Sharks (I would rather have them bleed out as much as possible).
Im with ya greg but in the event that one may find themselves with some of those massive specimens that when they snap there jaws sound like a angry crocodile, The club of death and brain oblideration would probably be the only option......
There would be no plan b on a kayak.....
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:51 AM   #12
echo1er

hell yeah. Finally you got the right size fish. Congrats...
echo1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #13
blitzburgh

Nice flat-kind!
Old 03-11-2012, 11:41 AM   #14
NextBite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK View Post
Rad catch...For future reference you need to gaff it in the belly right where the organs are. It is the most bizarre thing it completely paralyzed them even the big ones, secure the game clip slide onto yak put leg over halibut tail and proceed to pound the holy hell out of its head with a small bat until your sonar is covered in brain matter.... That is the safest way to have a big halibut in board .
Quote:
Nice Hali. More often than not, the prize is lost when digging for the landing tools. Good job keeping cool and getting the job done. What RK said about the landing, but also keep the weight of the fish supported by the gaff until you have clipped it, unhooked it and popped a gill. I prefer not to brain my fish unless there is a potential problem with Sea Lions and/or Sharks (I would rather have them bleed out as much as possible).
Congrats on the personal best

Lots of great tips by halibut masters
NextBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:32 PM   #15
dc1983

Oh I am listening.

Question for you all how long do you keep the fish off ice or out of the water? Also when you say pop the gill are you refer to removing the gills?

As soon as I caught this one all bait went over board and I was heading in cause I didn't want it to to bad.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #16
GregAndrew

Pop a gill means to cut or break it to allow the blood to flow out. Finger, knife or pliers should accomplish the job. Halibut will stay alive bleeding for a long time so you can leave them on your game clip for most the day. On a sunny warm day, I would not want to leave them in the hatch more than a couple of hours unless insulated. The chefs here could probably tell you better though.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #17
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

How do you find your balance is affected with the higher center of gravity? I have an xfactor and even with the huge weight capacity I still sit low in the water. Its fine in winter when im wearing waders but in boardshorts weather it would be nice to have my ass out of the water. Id probably want one not made of hard plastic though. I can see my ass going numb on those long 10hr days

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #18
dc1983

I was worried about being off balance because of how high the center of gravity is. But when I first got on I spent about a half hour in the harbor trying it out by rocking side to side and turning so that my legs were off the side and i really didn't notice a difference at all. When i caught the halibut with it pullling and trying to keep the yak facing the right way (one hand on the rod one paddling to turn around) I still felt very stable. A couple of times out there boats speed by and when their wake reached me the waves still felt like i was sitting in the old seat.

As far as the hard plastic seat goes it wasnt that bad. I felt it gave more support to my back. The only thing I might add is a butt pad but it isn't a huge deal without it.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #19
PapaDave

Hey, I dropped one that looks like that! Is it brown on one side and white on the other?

Nice flatty, I am getting addicted to fishing for them myslef. And I did miss a nice one out there yesterday, but managed a couple of very nice bass as consolation.

Do you think that seat would work on an Outback?

Hey Wayne!!! Where have you been lately?
PapaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:01 PM   #20
StinkyMatt

Second the question about the Outback.

Anyone do anything like this on an outback?

I believe there may have been a mod like this on a revo a year or more ago. Anyone remember that? Updates on that mod?
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote