Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #1
SassySasquatch
Junior

Question Need Help Finding Fishfinder

I need help getting a fishfinder. There a tons of fishfinders out there i just want to see what you guys use and what is recomended. Im only looking to spend $100-$150.
SassySasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
echo1er

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySasquatch View Post
I need help getting a fishfinder. There a tons of fishfinders out there i just want to see what you guys use and what is recomended. Im only looking to spend $100-$150.
Save up don't just get a cheap one. Get one with a combo. I went to $100-$150 route lets say its in my back yard next to a hammer.
echo1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:40 PM   #3
MrM

If you only have 150 to spend, look at a Hummingbird. I have the 170 right now, and I can't wait to upgrade to something better. Something is better than nothing, but I would recommend saving up for something good. Are you new to kayak fishing?
Old 07-29-2012, 10:43 PM   #4
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

i spent $50 on a used Eagle fish ID pro... which did the job with finding depth and learning how to use a FF.. but i cant wait to upgrade to something better.

the $100-$150 range is nice for a humminbird or a cuda, and it'll teach you alot about how to read what structure, fish, and bottom look like... but you'll be wanting to upgrade it asap after you realize that it isnt as good as you want.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:33 AM   #5
SassySasquatch
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrM View Post
If you only have 150 to spend, look at a Hummingbird. I have the 170 right now, and I can't wait to upgrade to something better. Something is better than nothing, but I would recommend saving up for something good. Are you new to kayak fishing?
ya im noobie.

thanks for the info guys what do you guys recomend i save up for?
Old 07-30-2012, 06:56 AM   #6
MrM

If you are new and are unsure about your future in Kayak Fishing, that's the only reason I'd spend $150. I think of it like buying a guitar... My first guitar was $80 bucks. Then once I realized I liked it, and actually could bend my fingers in a certain way, I stepped up and bought a nice Martin 6 months later. I still have it, too (been 10 years now).

At the same time, doing things this was can end up costing you a lot more in the long run because this sport is a freaking money pit. Lowrance makes some great FF's. Theres one for sale here in the forums I believe. The nicer FF's also double as chart-plotters and have a bunch of extra features. But now you're looking at the $500-$700 range.

Give us some background on your fishing experience, current yak set up, etc.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:13 PM   #7
SassySasquatch
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrM View Post
If you are new and are unsure about your future in Kayak Fishing, that's the only reason I'd spend $150. I think of it like buying a guitar... My first guitar was $80 bucks. Then once I realized I liked it, and actually could bend my fingers in a certain way, I stepped up and bought a nice Martin 6 months later. I still have it, too (been 10 years now).

At the same time, doing things this was can end up costing you a lot more in the long run because this sport is a freaking money pit. Lowrance makes some great FF's. Theres one for sale here in the forums I believe. The nicer FF's also double as chart-plotters and have a bunch of extra features. But now you're looking at the $500-$700 range.

Give us some background on your fishing experience, current yak set up, etc.
I have been fishing for years with my dad mostly in the surf tho. just made the jump to kayak fishing a few weeks ago i bought a wilderness system Tarpon 120 on craigslist all set up with an eagle cuda something it was an older version. but once we hooked it up to a battery it ended up not working "damn" so now im trying to find a fishfinder just to fish La Jolla or Carlsbad i dont need the combo just something to find fish will do.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #8
TJones

i was a fool

spent 1000$ and still don't know what i am looking at.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:27 PM   #9
MrM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySasquatch View Post
...im trying to find a fishfinder just to fish La Jolla or Carlsbad i dont need the combo just something to find fish will do.
Roger that. If that's the case, something in the $150 range might suit you well. I like my Hummingbird for what it's worth (you'd probably like it, too) But I can't wait to get something better after using it for the past 2 months. I'm just ready for more.

Oh, and WELCOME! Where are you located? A lot of people post on here the night before they are going out, ask to tag along and maybe someone can give you a few pointers on the area. Most everybody here is pretty friendly.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:28 PM   #10
blitzburgh

If all you want is a sonar only, the best one out there IMO for the money is the Lowrance Elite 4-X. $169 and has damn-near HDS quality definition.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:08 PM   #11
SassySasquatch
Junior

k so any hummingbird is cool or anything specific you recomend?

And im from oceanside we have been in the harbor twice just using it as training grounds cant wait to get out in La Jolla tho

thanks for the help!