Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
yaky yak

Is it windy out there?

I am thinking about hitting La jolla in the morning sense my job was cancelled for
Friday. Its 100 miles each way for me and I am a little concerned about the wind out there. Hate to get there and there is 20 knot winds. Anyone been out today?
I be there early if I go. I finely broke down and bought some waders. It'll be a new experience not freezing to death for a change. Thanks for any intell on weather.
yaky yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:16 PM   #2
dorado50

It was fairly windy today,but more important the surf was up at the launch! there are some four plus foot swells rolling out there also. I think these conditions will last at least till sat.night. Just my close up observations today. Good luck...
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
MattRabasco

I was out there today. Lots of swell and a moderate wind. Not the most comfortable fishing conditions. Water was cold and off color with lots of broken kelp. Surf has been up lately and has stirred things up a bit. Caught some assorted rockfish. Got wet on the way out and in. Lots of rental yakers getting hammered on the way in and out. Saw several major wipeouts. I am surprised that the rental companies take novices out in the conditions like that. $$$$$$!!!!! Some tourist is going to get hurt or killed someday when it is like that. Watch out!
MattRabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
yaky yak

Thanks. I think I'll hit dana instead. I wanted to launch around 3:30 am, but its so cold, factor in the wind, and my first launch in my new waders in decent surf, yeah sleep in and launch at baby beach this time. If the water was just a few degrees warmer I'ed do it. Again thanks for the heads up.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #5
Billy V

The swell has been at 8 ft all day, and is still at 6 ft now.

There also is wind. Its far from ideal conditions right now.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:10 AM   #6
gupppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaky yak View Post
Thanks. I think I'll hit dana instead. I wanted to launch around 3:30 am, but its so cold, factor in the wind, and my first launch in my new waders in decent surf, yeah sleep in and launch at baby beach this time. If the water was just a few degrees warmer I'ed do it. Again thanks for the heads up.
Make sure you know where the closures are in dp!
gupppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:13 AM   #7
Regor
Greg

Yep....surf is pumping...but the revo punched through it unharmed jus now and im heading out to bring home dinner
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:24 AM   #8
Pocoloco

Getting out is not the hard part.
Pocoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #9
yaky yak

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.vint View Post
Getting out is not the hard part.
I feel confident I can get out throu all but the biggest surf, but its getting back in that gives me second thoughts. I hate it when I make it all the way to shore, then get hit by a sneaker wave in one foot of water.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:04 PM   #10
Regor
Greg

Coming in ... decided to turn her around and came in backwards. A nice smooth, dry landing, even though the surf was still pumpin.

After loading up, took a break and watched the rentals still going out and coming back in. It was pretty entertaining. One yak pearled, and the front person in the Tandem actually launched, it looked like a catapult. They were fine, but it was quite a site.

Many, many more (close to 1/2) flipped. And then out of nowhere, you see a yak doing everything wrong, paddling badly and on the wrong side for where the wave was, just about to flip, pearl .... and how bout that - they made it all the way in

Once out there on the fishing grounds today, it wasn't bad until appx 12pm when the wind really kicked it into high gear. Swells from multiple direction and whitecaps, made for a fun time.

And the final question ..... Where did all the bait go? What was around was being scattered all over from the dolphin and seals, and when I did find bait, they just weren't biting. I had two PB'ers come up to me asking about bait, and have I had any luck cause they just weren't biting the Sabikis.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #11
deepdvr

What's for dinner?
Old 04-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #12
Regor
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepdvr View Post
What's for dinner?
Seafood City
Old 04-06-2012, 07:48 PM   #13
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

The launch wasn't that bad!

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:02 PM   #14
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

ya... this afternoon was rough...

what usually looks like this.

looked like this.

i brought my 9/0 to kayak out some baits for threshers and we never even took the yak out of the truck.