Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2011, 07:39 PM   #1
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

pro explorer or extreme?

I just got offered a really good deal on my choice between a malibu pro explorer or an extreme. What are your thought and opinions on the 2. I know the pro explorer is shorter and wider and the extreme is longer and not as wide. Which is more fishable for a larger taller guy?
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:48 PM   #2
bigyearn
Junior

where do you plan on using the kayak? i like the stability of my outback and can even stand up on it. however i don't have to paddle unless i want to. paddling the outback is not so bad though but if you have to paddle a wide kayak for long distance i could see how that could be a pain in the butt.
bigyearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:58 PM   #3
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

I wanna use it everywhere. The kayak I'm currently in I take offshore and I'm trolling a lot. Its my choice of either of those two malibus though. I know hobies are the big fan fav around here but ill continue to use my arms while I'm young, Ha!
Old 10-20-2011, 08:17 PM   #4
bigyearn
Junior

well i took a look at both those kayaks on the malibu website and they are damn near the same. either would be great. the pro explorer looks a little bit better as far as transporting. that would be my only concern because my truck has a 6ft bed on it.
bigyearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:00 PM   #5
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

I'm not too concerned with the transport. I'm moving around a 16' yak right now.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:09 PM   #6
YakMedic

William keep that paddle in your hands as long as possible. Some of us still fish from real kayaks. I'd lean towards the extreme, when you get a longer yak you will get better tracking and more speed.

Another big factor is the extreme has foot braces on the track and you will get support on the balls of your feet instead of only your heels. This will translate into a more effective stroke
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:15 PM   #7
Iceman
Administrator

I am not a big guy and I would pick the Extreme, being a big guy definitely take the Extreme.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:56 PM   #8
Amish Ed

Extreme for sure, especially if you're already used to a longer yak.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:27 PM   #9
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

thanks guys

The extreme is what I was leaning towards. Plus I was looking at the x wing console accessory to mount stuff to. Way cool. Thanks for your input. I'm gonna take the manta out for one last run in the morning then hopefully I'm in a 'boo by tomorrow evening
Old 10-21-2011, 06:09 AM   #10
Chuck D

I paddled an Extreme for many years. I am 6' 1 and 200 lbs. and I loved it. It is very stable, quick but not fast and can hold a lot of gear. To me the xwing thing seems a bit excessive for any yak but if you like all the extras it may not be too bad. I would try it without first, the more gear the less space. Get the Extreme!
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote