Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2011, 09:59 PM   #1
sammysamsam

Repairing rod guides

Hi all,
Im looking to pick up some used rods and noticed the solder points around the guide rings had a little rust on them. Is this normal? is there a way to fix them other than replacing the guides? Can i replace the guides myself? Cant really find any info googling.
sammysamsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:01 PM   #2
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

Replace 'em but unless you have all the proper equipment to wrap rods you will find it near impossible to have your wraps turn out well. $10 to get a guide wrapped at squidco.
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:12 PM   #3
sammysamsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
Replace 'em but unless you have all the proper equipment to wrap rods you will find it near impossible to have your wraps turn out well. $10 to get a guide wrapped at squidco.
Ah so that rules out doing it myself. lol. Im located around long beach area and it costs about $6 bucks double wrapped to replace guides.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:15 PM   #4
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

Yep you might as well get fresh guides at $6!!!! That is a good deal.
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:47 PM   #5
sammysamsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
Yep you might as well get fresh guides at $6!!!! That is a good deal.
I got a a couple seeker black steel rods for $90 a pop so $45 for 9 guides is half the cost of the rod. Not sure if its worth it.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:37 AM   #6
fishinkid2010

As stated, it is probably easiest to replace them. Not sure what kind of guides we're talking, but a standard chrome boat guide will run you less than $1.50 on up to the premo Fuji SIC and NIC guides that can cost up to $15 each. (don't ask me how I know lol)

I build custom rods and do repairs, so if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Once trick you could try if the corrosion isn't too bad is to soak the guide in Vinegar. (figure out a way to keep the guide in a cup of vinegar without the finish touching it) Give that a day or two, then polish it with some crocus cloth
fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:47 PM   #7
sammysamsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinkid2010 View Post
As stated, it is probably easiest to replace them. Not sure what kind of guides we're talking, but a standard chrome boat guide will run you less than $1.50 on up to the premo Fuji SIC and NIC guides that can cost up to $15 each. (don't ask me how I know lol)

I build custom rods and do repairs, so if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Once trick you could try if the corrosion isn't too bad is to soak the guide in Vinegar. (figure out a way to keep the guide in a cup of vinegar without the finish touching it) Give that a day or two, then polish it with some crocus cloth

Thanks for the info! Ill give that a shot. ill def keep you in mind.