Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2014, 02:57 PM   #1
5-20

Bending Branches Angler Ace and Cart for XFactor Questions/Misc Rigging Thoughts

So like you might've read in another post, I just ordered a XFactor and I've been trying to settle on a paddle for the yak. I'd like a good paddle, but would like to stay between $150-200. The bending branches angler ace seems like the best carbon paddle in this price range right at $200. Are there any others I might want to think about in this price range? I will probably go with a 240cm model.

I would also like to get a cart that's suitable for beach launches. Not really looking to spend a pretty penny on the cart since I think I'll be able to unload the yak right by the water most of the time at LJ where I think I'll probably do 95% of my BTB fishing for the forseeable future. Any of you place a premium on having collapsible carts so you can stow that into the hatch of the xfactor, or do you usually just strap it onto the back of the yak when needed?

I'm still not really sure how I'll strap my rods down and I was wondering if I could stow the rods through the hatch even with the cart in there. Seems like that might be a bit of a clunky mess, especially when on the water and prepping for the surf back to land. Actually, how do most of you with malibu yaks store your rods when doing launches and entries?

The harmony boat cart looks decent enough and it's on sale for $65: http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...Boat-Cart.html

Any reason why I might want to consider going with a different cart? I think I'd like to stay away from the ones that poke through the scupper holes to minimize the risk of damage to the holes. The tires on this cart also look like they'd be decent enough for a short drag through sand.

Any other rigging tips or ideas about the xfactor would be really appreciated. If I haven't said this enough already... getting excited about doing some serious BTB fishing throughout the summer. Thanks!
5-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:23 PM   #2
chris138
donkey roper

You can definitely fit rods in the front hatch of the xfactor. But its pretty easy to damage an eyelet pulling them in and out of the hull. Not to mention if you get an iron snagged on your transducer cable, you'll have a hell of a time getting it out on the water. Just use one longer bungee and lash all your rods down in one shot. I always launch with all my rigs in the bait-tank rod holders because it puts them up higher and behind you and they won't get wet as easily.

When launching/landing in the xfactor or any kayak, you want your weight to be as far back as possible. Loosen up your seat so you can lean way back if need be. You will increase your success rate just by ballasting the back end of the yak. When coming in it can help to have your bait tank half full, assuming it is behind you and not the center tank molded in front of the seat on the new xfactor. I use the center baitwell as a "waiting room" for my fresh caught bait to bleed and shit itself prior to transferring it into my main rear bait tank.

Not sure but I think the PA is so heavy and oddly shaped that ballasting wont really help much for landing. I am amazed at how easily those things flip, and in minuscule surf!
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:30 PM   #3
MrPatrick

Get a good lock and cable and lock your cart to the telephone pole thing right at the entrance to the launch.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:11 PM   #4
5-20

Thanks for the input -- are you saying you've got your rods perpendicular to the yak? I'm thinking it'd be a lot better to have them parallel somehow during these launches just to minimize the chance of damage if i flip.

Hmm, any of you use rod gloves when stuffing them into the hatch? That could help.

On a side note, i just picked up a mti life jacket. The kotatat came recommended on a lot of yak sites but it felt thick and totally uncomfortable. The mti felt thin and comfortable. I really liked the adjustment straps in the back of the jacket that were easy to cinch tighter. Glad i liked this one since the kotatat was twice as much, too!

I definitely wanted to get that out of the way, and i am glad i found something comfortable. I hope that'll help me use it as much as possible!
Old 06-11-2014, 05:50 PM   #5
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

If you're thinking of putting your rods in your front hatch for launches/landings you might want to rethink that. Trying to get up there on the water to get rods in or out would be a tough trick. The front hatch is hard to access while on the water but it's a great place to store items while transporting. Try just laying your rods down on top of the yak and bungie them down, perhaps with the paddle holder bungies. I think most guys just leave their rods in the rear rod holders for launch/landing although it's probably a risk of breaking something in case of a flip.

On the kayak carts, I bought one of those like you linked and it did not work well for the Stealth/XFactor hull shape. For me, the kayak rocked side to side on the cart because the "V" shape in the top of the cart was too straight for the shape of the hull. I like the "T" shaped carts better, and welded my own custom one up that fits perfectly in the molded tunnels in the Stealth and X-Factor hulls. Like this one http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...el-Cart/Detail OEX can probably help you pick a cart that fits the X-Factor well.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:54 PM   #6
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
I bought a Bending branches "Slice" when I had a Pro Explorer. I still have that and I used my R.E.I rebate + 20% off special to buy a Werner "Lil Dipper" bent shaft early this year.
Since I have a HOBIE I can't address your problem with a set of cart wheels. I still have the same cart wheels left over from my Pro Explorer which I like for rocky beaches but the New Big Wheels scupper mounts can't be beat for soft sand!
This is just me. I use a "Rod Wrap" that I use when I'm on party boats to keep my rods together. I slide the bottom end of the rods under a bungee cargo net (I found on eBay for ATV'S and motorcycles) and wrap the tips under the oar bungee (On my Outback) since I'm at those times.
Since I carry 4 or more rods, the reel handles should catch in the bungee net should I take a spill!
I keep my Fly rods broken down and in the front hatch of my HOBIE.
I don't know if any of this will help you but I thought I'd put it out there.
FFY

Last edited by FlyFishinYakr; 06-11-2014 at 06:12 PM.
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:30 PM   #7
tacmik

God I love my rod pod.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:26 PM   #8
5-20

Cool, thanks, all of that input helps! Glad I've held off on ordering a cart!