Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
Fishwhisperer619

sd bay question

Anyone ever fish the mouth of the bay? If so is it any good? Was thinking about working the jetty off the tip of coronado. Been led to believe that some decent bass have been caught there with the occasional barracuda and very rare bonito. If you know something please spare me from wasting my time
Fishwhisperer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
Dannowar

Yep, there's fish there ; )

I'd chase the flat kind. Moving water is your friend
Old 03-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
Ggiannig89

I know there must be fish there but I haven't had much luck there from both yak and boat.
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:55 PM   #4
Fishwhisperer619

I know its a bit of a paddle from shelter island, that doesnt bother me at all I love being on the water. Im curious how the conditions are around there. Any difficulty?
Fishwhisperer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:22 AM   #5
Deamon

My estimate is 50% of boaters would love to throw some temporary havoc at small floating chunks of molded plastic (jealous bitches). The mouth of the bay is a mixed bag. Those orange trimmed tugs and smaller commercial guys can be real a-holes. The commercial guys hug the North Island edge when going in and out of the bay. I try not to react when they throw a big wake at me but sometimes they get the best of me...:the_fing er::the_finger :
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Last edited by Deamon; 03-29-2013 at 06:39 AM.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:10 AM   #6
Baja_Traveler

It can also get hairy crossing from one side to the other. Check for power boats on the horizon - they are going full steam through Zuniga jetty and can be right on top of you before you even get half way across. If you cross out at the mouth, do it right in front of the Ballast Point Degauzing building - thats the narrowest part, and the quickest to get across. Use the channel buoys as stoping points for physical protection.
If you decide to fish south of the jetty in the flats for halibut, it will be a 12 mile day launching from Shelter Island. I've done it 3 or 4 times so far - makes for a fun day, but you feel it when you are done, each time I had trouble standing when I got back from peddling the PA for so long...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote