Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
Drake

For those with Livewell pumps on Stealth series

Is your setup really noisy? Mine is, to the point where I refuse to use it. I pull the drian plug and put a screen in the scupper hole to prevent escapes. I'm just wondering if I have a defective pump?

It works fine, but it sounds like a blender. I checked the inlet, and there is nothing clogging it, and no kinks in the tubing. It sounds more like cavitation vibration than something going on with the impeller.
It much quieter when its out of the water
Old 08-29-2011, 04:39 PM   #2
RK

Had one, a good reliable, maintenance free fairly quiet pump, quieter than the hobie bait tanks thats for sure. But im sort of getting used to the gurgling bong overflow drain, although the same tsunami pump, super easy to clean and take apart. If its a tiny bit nosiy thats normal if its enough noise to really bother you and make you wonder if its spooking wsb then i think a new ones about thirty bucks.
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:16 PM   #3
fishsouthcounty

I have a stealth 12 and my pump is pretty quiet, don't really notice it when its on, that is if it works. Which it usually doesn't work properly.
fishsouthcounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:24 PM   #4
hook1fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK View Post
Had one, a good reliable, maintenance free fairly quiet pump, quieter than the hobie bait tanks thats for sure. But im sort of getting used to the gurgling bong overflow drain, although the same tsunami pump, super easy to clean and take apart. If its a tiny bit nosiy thats normal if its enough noise to really bother you and make you wonder if its spooking wsb then i think a new ones about thirty bucks.
My hobie LW is very quiet I normally have to check to see if it's still on.... now it it weren't so difficult to prime i'd be golden
hook1fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:29 PM   #5
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by hook1fred View Post
My hobie LW is very quiet I normally have to check to see if it's still on.... now it it weren't so difficult to prime i'd be golden
I found a way to easily prime a Hobie tank. The solution will probably work with any scupper-fed pump. Check out post number 36 in the Innovations thread. After adding the angle adapter shown in that post, simply carry a piece of pipe, (I use a sprinkler riser), that will fit in the plastic tubing.

If your intake ever gets plugged up, blow some air through the system. If you cannot get the pump to prime, suck a little water in. This thing works great.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:43 PM   #6
RK

Not to thread jack but ive gotta know, the tsunami pump (same as stealth) in the hobie tank on mine is quiet but the tank itself with that white overflow drain pipe makes a loud gurgling sound like a bong, not that I dont like this sound but it is a bit noisy, definatley loud enough for me to bring up, now do you guys not experience that, im wondering if theres a may to silence that?
Old 08-29-2011, 07:26 PM   #7
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK View Post
Not to thread jack but ive gotta know, the tsunami pump (same as stealth) in the hobie tank on mine is quiet but the tank itself with that white overflow drain pipe makes a loud gurgling sound like a bong, not that I dont like this sound but it is a bit noisy, definatley loud enough for me to bring up, now do you guys not experience that, im wondering if theres a may to silence that?
I drilled 4 3/8" holes at the top of my tube so that the water does not "bubble" quite as loudly... still not as silent as a kayatank but is far better than it was.

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:54 PM   #8
RK

Yeah thanks mine has the holes pre drilled but its still a bit loud just seeing if anything else can be done. I may try drilling a couple more lower that way the holes will act as the drain as opposed to the holes being the secondary drain and the main hole of the pipe being the primary drain. Were trying to be stealth here people or we'd all be on hatteras's oh yeah that and the 500k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handymansd View Post
I drilled 4 3/8" holes at the top of my tube so that the water does not "bubble" quite as loudly... still not as silent as a kayatank but is far better than it was.