Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2014, 01:37 PM   #1
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Wide Open Spanish Macs!!!

That's right, on Tuesday the bite for the Spanish Macs was wide open in LJ. I couldn't drop down without getting bit. But seriously, though, went out the day after Memorial Day to put some Time OTW. Made a tank of Spanish Mac with 2 greenies mixed in. I just couldn't dial the greenies in. Seems like that was the story for the morning. After having a 1/2 boat park right on us kayaker's and watching them play with the Barracuda's for a while, I decided to head out in search or the elusive (at least to me) mossback.

Trolled around for a few hours with nothing to show for it. Met a cool kayaker, didn't get her name, who showed me a pretty good spot for rockfish. Dropped down and landed two short lings. That was it for me.

Highlight of my day was watching a yellowtail swim right in front of my kayak, maybe 5 feet, and me in utter awe at him swiming that close to me. Totally caught me off guard as my target species had changed. Caught me off guard for sure. It was nice meeting you Will. I read your heartbreak story. More than I can say regarding action. I think I stopped and talked to you also Easyday. Nice meeting you as well. Our time will come.

Tight Lines,

Cadillyak
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:44 PM   #2
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillyak View Post
That's right, on Tuesday the bite for the Spanish Macs was wide open in LJ. I couldn't drop down without getting bit. But seriously, though, went out the day after Memorial Day to put some Time OTW. Made a tank of Spanish Mac with 2 greenies mixed in. I just couldn't dial the greenies in. Seems like that was the story for the morning. After having a 1/2 boat park right on us kayaker's and watching them play with the Barracuda's for a while, I decided to head out in search or the elusive (at least to me) mossback.

Trolled around for a few hours with nothing to show for it. Met a cool kayaker, didn't get her name, who showed me a pretty good spot for rockfish. Dropped down and landed two short lings. That was it for me.

Highlight of my day was watching a yellowtail swim right in front of my kayak, maybe 5 feet, and me in utter awe at him swiming that close to me. Totally caught me off guard as my target species had changed. Caught me off guard for sure. It was nice meeting you Will. I read your heartbreak story. More than I can say regarding action. I think I stopped and talked to you also Easyday. Nice meeting you as well. Our time will come.

Tight Lines,

Cadillyak
pleasure was mine bud. I've got the eye of the Tiger now. I'm upping the ante and gonna hit it weekly until I land one of these suckers. Will probably be out there Sunday or Monday. I Wana go Sunday because I'm anxious but I'm liking Monday because less crowds

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:36 PM   #3
FISH11

Hey Cadillyak sorry we missed each other on Teusday. Had the same luck with the bait except i couldn't even get one greenback. I guess I just gave up after getting 15 Spanish in the tank. I've spent 1 1/2 hours before trying to get the right bait and I didn't want to waste that much time. I saw Sharon, when she was returning with a couple of great catches, she sure is a great fisherman and works really hard to chase them down. I'm going out tomorrow with a friend to Mission Bay cause he just got a Hobie Outback last week and is trying to learn Kayak fishing so I'm helping him. Will, I was thinking Monday might be a great day. I agree I like going out when there are no crowds. Maybe I'll see you then. Tight Lines. Mark
Old 05-30-2014, 08:13 AM   #4
walrus

Ultra-light 9' rod, 4 lb. test line with a HS diawia ultra-lite spinning reel just add the greenbacks and have a blast. That is until a sea lion or yellowtail breaks you off, then you kick yourself for not using heavier gear.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:17 AM   #5
YakDout
Brandon

Yesterday, it seemed the big schools of bait were about 50/50. The Spanish were down on the bottom and the greens were in spots near 0-25ft by the edges of kelp. Was pulling them up 4 at a time yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:21 PM   #6
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillyak View Post
That's right, on Tuesday the bite for the Spanish Macs was wide open in LJ. I couldn't drop down without getting bit. But seriously, though, went out the day after Memorial Day to put some Time OTW. Made a tank of Spanish Mac with 2 greenies mixed in. I just couldn't dial the greenies in. Seems like that was the story for the morning.
A week ago Thursday, it seemed the same way, but I was able to load up with 50/50, about 10 each.
My trick was/is paddling, or pedaling, at a medium pace with the sabiki (tipped with squid) and a 4oz torpedo, at about 40 feet or so behind you. Sure, you'll still get some Spanish, but the Greenies are quicker and tend to like a moving object more, I've found, so you'll up your % with them.
The 4oz of lead gets it down in the water column better, plus limits the sabiki from tangling when loaded with a few Greenies, better than say 2oz will, which is what we used to use. 5-6oz is probably even better.
Aaron
Old 05-30-2014, 11:34 PM   #7
easyday

Yep that was me, nice to meet you roo man im sure ill see you out there again soon.