Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2009, 01:56 PM   #1
cajunman

Kayak rack for Whaler

been designing a rack to hold my kayak on my Boston Whaler, (designing for now in my head of course). Has anyone had any experience with making a rack to attach to a boat? I was thinking about soemthing to fit into my rod holders but I'm concerned that they might not hold the load

Going to Catalina to camp in Septmeber, taking my Whaler and I want to take my Yak
rich
cajunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:09 PM   #2
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

check out the youtube video on this site.
http://www.fishdoccharters.com/
Old 06-23-2009, 02:22 PM   #3
cajunman

sweet video. Thats what i have in mind. Do you sell the system?

I have a Montauk which has railing both sides

tks
rich
cajunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

not mine, I just remembered seeing that video a couple weeks ago on his post. Cool setup for a small boat.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:15 PM   #5
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

It looks like all they did was attach a couple J-racks to something that would fit into the rod holders. A very simple and effective design. If you want to give it a try, I have some J-racks that I would be willing to sell.

If interested, please PM me.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:16 AM   #6
kareem korn

I've been tossing around ideas on how to secure my kayaks to my whaler also. This is my whaler. As you can see I made my own bow rails so my kids can walk around safely. The feet are three hole and only thru bolted on one hole due to the small lip. I used marine adhesive and stainless steel self tappers on the other two holes. The problem I see securing the kayaks (x-factor & mini-x) to the top of the rails is that there's just too much side to side slop that will pull the feet out of the fiberglass. Even with it thru bolted. If your whaler railing hasn't been modified than it's self tappers into the side which is even thinner walled than the gunnel I am secured to. What I ended up doing is laying my kayaks under the bow railing and on top of the gunnels and using the vertical railing supports to rest and secure against. In short I just don't think the railing will support your kayaks without damaging your boat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bw9.jpg (97.9 KB, 66 views)
kareem korn is offline   Reply With Quote