Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #1
Deamon

Bugging Tips

I'd like to offer a few bugging tips if I may...simple stuff but it could help a few. Please offer some back if you have any...

Dealing with the crowds...Not everyone has the extra time but I'll set up just a bit before the others. When I'm not cutting in on top of everyone and dropping in between other people's traps, I'm usually good to go. I'll hang near my traps while others are setting up. This is a good time to check in with the buggers on both sides of your set. Most are trying to be cool with their neighbors. I can't help you with the Ass Holes. My compadres know that I will go bonkers when people are dicks and even then, it usually doesn't help with that kind.

As much as I used to think bait was all about using salmon heads for best results...it's not. It can be pricey (cost is relative) AND I came to the conclusion the dogs stick around a bit longer and work harder if salmon is around...

Keep two bug measuring gauges. "The Man" is unforgiving if you don't have a gauge when checked (even if you lost it).

If Mr. Dog is around, I'll run my traps in the dark (lights off) and move away from my set (close enough to police them if needed). I'll even hangout near someone else's traps (which aren't being monitored) to lure the seal(s) away from mine...

Adding some D.O.T. reflector tape to your floats can really help locate your traps when you swing your light around...

If a dog is around, I'll hold up on dropping my trap(s) until he's gone. I've had them follow me for up to 15 minutes but I know they'll eventually leave. Once they taste your bait, it could hang around searching for your other traps.

I have a cheapy Everyready light for something a bit more than just my headlamp. Like $5.00 at Home Depot or elsewhere. It's water resistant and helps alert an oncoming boat, ship or freighter...

I'm a Promar light guy. I'll add a few layers of Teflon to completely seal them from water. The grease they use will eventually dry up and water will penetrate. I've got some lights going on my third season if I change out the batteries.

Hope this helps. Be safe. Good luck to everyone. Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Page 1.jpg (71.1 KB, 286 views)
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Last edited by Deamon; 09-26-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote