Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2011, 04:28 PM   #1
bigbarrels

Maiden Voyage

Took my Hobie Revo out this A.M. and the surf was definetly up a bit along with the South wind. The Revo when paddling through the surf zone was veering hard to the left and I have never had a kayak do this. Got out to where the waves were breaking and practically duck dove the kayak through a 4-5 foot wave that broke over my head (another first on a kayak)....made it out and didn't roll or lose gear......messed around with the HDS -5 but wasn't sure if the fish and chip was being used (need to read instructions again)......Conditions with lots of south wind, plenty of bait...... off the water early due to the crappy conditions... Successful landing without a yardsale.....hopefully Wed and/or Thurs will be cleaner than today......
Old 05-23-2011, 05:49 PM   #2
flydigital

Congrats on the new Revo... You pretty much summed up the surf zone characteristics perfectly. It torpedoes waves and tracks like crap with the rudder up, but if you practice it gets easier.

Got barreled on the way out? Fun Sounds like decent sized surf, and we got more coming Thursday or Friday.
flydigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:26 PM   #3
bigbarrels

yeah, that wave barreled over the top of me for sure and I barely punched through the back......good times for sure.....definitely not as sketchy as duck diving 18-20 foot Bankvaults in the Mentawaii Islands but just as fun
Old 05-23-2011, 08:51 PM   #4
GregAndrew

Yeah, you have to activate the Fish N Chip for it to show up on you Chart pages. Press Menu, then settings (enter), choose Chart (enter), Chart Data (enter) then select Navionics. WTG on staying on the right side of the water while tackling surf on a new ride.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:18 PM   #5
bigbarrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Yeah, you have to activate the Fish N Chip for it to show up on you Chart pages. Press Menu, then settings (enter), choose Chart (enter), Chart Data (enter) then select Navionics. WTG on staying on the right side of the water while tackling surf on a new ride.

Cool, thanks for the info Greg