Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2014, 11:03 AM   #1
octico

New to Kayaking

Ok let me preface this. I have been an avid fisherman as long as I can remember. I have been surf fishing for years. I have done kayak fishing from lakes, and I know this ocean kayak fishing is much different.

My friend is selling me at Hobie Revolution with all the gear fish finder, rod holders, bait. PFD, turbo paddles too much to list .. complete setup for $1200.00. From what i have read this sound like a good deal so I cannot pass up this offer. I know I am going to love kayak fishing I have been wanting to get one, I know what people say rent one before you buy one ....

My question is (if your still reading), I live in Orange and would to how to get started. I have been watching videos, read a lot on these forums. I think of starting inside Newport or HB harbor. Any thoughts or documentation you guys can give a newbie?

Thanks !
John
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:10 AM   #2
Hunters Pa

Go to the Baytubers tourney this Sunday at Cabrillo. Pick their brains, filter the typical fisheman crap and keep the stuff you can use. You can also check out how others are rigged
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:51 AM   #3
otterpupster

Send a message via MSN to otterpupster
Check out OEX Sunset Bch this wkend.They're having a wkend demo of Hobie's ; Native Wtrcraft ; Jackson's : and Malibu
otterpupster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:36 PM   #4
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

That's a horrible deal, I'm going to need his name and number to rectify the situation of him trying to doop you! I'll take the package deal and make sure he doesn't try to pull that on anyone else, I love doing newbies favors like that.
I agree with the OEX demo days, you can try out the one you're looking at along with others. It's a great opportunity to find out what works for you or doesn't. That's not always the case which leaves trades as an option too, you could always pickup the Revo and trade it for something that may work better for you after some time on the water.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:24 PM   #5
Deamon

Talking

Bay tubers this weekend! Act like a newbie and you'll get a free pass to pretty much do anything and fish anywhere. Find out who Jorge is and fish on top of him. He is a butt killer. Ignore him if he yells at you, he'll eventually shut up. Find out who Matt is and paddle away from him. Matt really likes butt, nuff said there. I've got a Revolution. It's a very good kayak. Keep your gear strapped down and your hatches closed whenever possible. Think about how you would climb back on the yak if flipped. If you're with others, they can help you climb back in. If you're alone, you need to be able to get back on by yourself. Welcome to the madness. Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Last edited by Deamon; 03-12-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:32 PM   #6
kauaiboy04

welcome to the addiction! as generic as this may sound, search and scour the forums! ask specific questions, and you'll get specific answers. good luck and have fun!

http://socalkayak.blogspot.com
kauaiboy04 is offline   Reply With Quote