Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2010, 10:07 PM   #1
jorluivil

Slowly but Surely

Been spending some time - on and off- working on my yak. Today I finally started to see some of the progress.

I replaced the existing bait tank with a food vault/container and installed the pump on the inside with an anti-siphon valve to prevent any backflush. still need to get some nylon nuts to fasten the pump and some elbow and hose for the drain.

I decided to not place the battery box for the FF in the hull and instead mounted the FF to the Pelican box, just need a some waterproof nuts to run the ducer cable from the hull to the FF.

I decided to do a wet mount and install a 4" abs pipe which was cut to match the hull design and Gooped. I let it sit for 24hrs+ and fill it with water to check for leaks, it's all good!!

I had a crate sitting around and decided to cut it so that it could fit right between the bait tank and the seat. I used a left over piece to make a top for, just need mount it. I still have space behind the bait tank for a cooler or additional storage.

On sunday we're heading to Westmarine and OEX to buy some additional items: NRS Chinook PFD, hardware, vhf radios, etc. We're planning on doing a local run next weekend and will fish the Portugese Bend area, we're staying close to shore for now. Hope to post some additional pics once we're up and running.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2010-05-21 20.43.57.jpg (34.3 KB, 400 views)
File Type: jpg 2010-05-21 20.44.27.jpg (36.1 KB, 385 views)
File Type: jpg 2010-05-21 20.42.59.jpg (43.9 KB, 383 views)
File Type: jpg 2010-05-21 20.42.17.jpg (29.1 KB, 382 views)
File Type: jpg 2010-05-21 20.44.44_Norwalk_California_US.jpg (55.4 KB, 384 views)
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:41 PM   #2
dick fabulous

maybe

a little top heavy and forward blockage bow heavy ? innovative none the less. good stuff and good luck.
dick fabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:22 AM   #3
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dick fabulous View Post
a little top heavy and forward blockage bow heavy ?
What do you mean? The bait tank is only 13.25" H and the Pelican box and FF mount will sit below my line of site. The bait tank sits lower than the most of the bucket style tanks that I've seen and the waterline will sit no higher than 3/4 of the tank. Help me understand what you mean so that I can make adjustments, if necessary.

Last edited by jorluivil; 05-22-2010 at 05:12 AM.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:46 AM   #4
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

I think the the Fabulous one might have meant that with that big battery box between you and your front hatch, you might have a little trouble sliding to the bow and reaching stuff stored in that area.

Other than that I think everything looks great. Very clean. Where are you going to mount rod holders, on the crate? If you do, keep in mind that you will have to reach through the stored rods to get to your bait tank.

I prefer cinch straps to bungees for holding things like bait tanks and storage crates in place. You may find that the first time you do the El Rollo, the bungees will stretch too much and stuff might start falling off.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:32 AM   #5
Aaron

I'm curious about the livewell pump...do those work when fully submerged in water all day? I'm just curious about the electrical connections on that style of pump. I've never seen one actually mounted inside of the tank. Does the hobie livewell have a similar set up?
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:32 AM   #6
bellcon

looking good, Jorluivil

Quote:
We're planning on doing a local run next weekend and will fish the Portugese Bend area,
Are you talking about the Portuguese Bend area as in Rancho Palos Verdes?
Old 05-22-2010, 07:51 AM   #7
Lets_Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapdawg711 View Post
I'm curious about the livewell pump...do those work when fully submerged in water all day? I'm just curious about the electrical connections on that style of pump. I've never seen one actually mounted inside of the tank. Does the hobie livewell have a similar set up?
Yes they work submerged all day or unntil your battery dies.

I have a Hobie tank and yes it's inside and works great. Honestly there is no difference in how they work, just where they are located.
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:07 PM   #8
Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets_Fish View Post
Yes they work submerged all day or unntil your battery dies.

I have a Hobie tank and yes it's inside and works great. Honestly there is no difference in how they work, just where they are located.
Good to know! Thanks!
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:19 AM   #9
Lets_Fish

I found out just by wanting to clean the pump off that I had some scales and grass collected in the impeller of the pump. You should be able to take the pump apart for maintenance so you can clean out the junk.
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:39 AM   #10
Gino

Very nice, I like your fish finder setup. I used to have that kayak, And couldnt find anythign worth a damn to fit in that "designated plano box" spot. That milkcrate is pretty cool, where did you find it?

The bottom pump on the bait tank is a super sweet I did soemthing very similuir when I had that yak. Very sweet setup.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:01 PM   #11
GregAndrew

I agree with Bob on the cinch straps vs. bungees to tie down the crate and bait tank. Might attach rod holders right to the sides and/or back of the bait tank with the same lock nuts not to interfere with bait tank access. Where is your battery for the bait tank located?
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:15 PM   #12
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellcon View Post
looking good, Jorluivil

Are you talking about the Portuguese Bend area as in Rancho Palos Verdes?
Yes, or at least the surrounding areas. Other than our rides around Naples and the day that we spent practicing righting and climbing onto a flipped kayak this will be our open ocean maiden voyage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino View Post
Very nice, I like your fish finder setup. I used to have that kayak, And couldnt find anythign worth a damn to fit in that "designated plano box" spot. That milkcrate is pretty cool, where did you find it?

The bottom pump on the bait tank is a super sweet I did soemthing very similuir when I had that yak. Very sweet setup.
I can't remember where I saw that setup for the FF but I did copy it. As far as the milk crate goes I cut the two ends off of a full size crate, zip tied it and also cut out some of the corners for a snuggly fit. The bait tank setup was also copied, I believe I saw it on a post from DSAFETY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
I agree with Bob on the cinch straps vs. bungees to tie down the crate and bait tank. Might attach rod holders right to the sides and/or back of the bait tank with the same lock nuts not to interfere with bait tank access. Where is your battery for the bait tank located?
Definately not going with the bungee thing, it works but I want something a little more secure. I just finished the battery install on the bait tank, since the tank sits closer to the port side I mounted the battery box on the starboard side to help balance out the tank once its full, plus I had more space. I'm planning on installing some rod holders this week, I was going to buy some but I figured I'd save some money and make my own.

I'll take some additional pics this week and post them.