Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2014, 09:43 PM   #1
octico

Newport Beach - Rock fishing 05/17

The plan was to fish for rockfish out of NPS. AirborneYak and I got on the water around 6AM, conditions were not good, really windy. We decided to pick up live squid from the bait barge and head out. We made it past the breakwater and that is about as far as we made it. Waves were breaking over the jetty on wedge side and we decided to head back in and troll our squid. We fished inside the harbor till around 11AM and decided to try to head out to deeper water and again we were denied .....

AirborneYak caught a spottie (no pics so I call BS) ....

Today had to be one of the worst days I ever had fishing on the yak, got tangled more than once. I almost got flipped, caught between the wake of two boats and choppy sea. I am starting to realize the Hobie Revo is really sketchy in open water with waves and swells coming in different directions ... (Hobie Revo owners please input thoughts here).

I talked to the wifey and we are going to head out to do some surf fishing tomorrow to was off this nasty skunk smell I have on me .... tight lines .. thanks for reading.

Oh I forgot to mention Karma is a BITCH!

Last edited by octico; 05-18-2014 at 05:51 AM. Reason: incoherence
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:06 PM   #2
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by octico View Post
The plan was to fish for rockfish out of NPS. AirborneYak and I got on the water around 6AM, conditions were not good, really windy. We decided to pick up live squid from the bait barge and head out. We made it past the breakwater and that is about as far we made it. Waves were breaking over the jetty on wedge side and we decided to head back in troll our squid. We fished inside the harbor till around 11AM and decided to try to head out to deeper water and again we were denied .....

AirboreYak caught a spottie ( no pics so I call BS) ....

Today had to be one of the worst days I ever had fishing on the yak, got tangled more than once. I almost got flipped, caught between the wake of two boats and choppy sea. I am starting to realize the Hobie Revo is really sketchy in open water with waves and swells coming in different directions ... (Hobie Revo owners please input thoughts here).

I talked to the wifey and we are going to head out to do some surf fishing to was off this nasty skunk smell I have on me .... tight lines .. thanks for rieading.

Oh I forgot to mention Karma is a BITCH!

I pray it's not like that in about 7 hours since a few of us are going to be there hoping for some rockies. If not, bass fishing in the harbor it is. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:37 AM   #3
momo fish

Glad you didn't try heading out. Now why is karma a bitch? What did he do?
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:34 AM   #4
octico

I was trash talking about his fishing skills ..... fishing gods were not happy.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2014, 07:13 PM   #5
AirborneYak

This was my second time fishing NPS and i couldnt believe how different the 2 days were. The first time out, the water was glass and yesterday was just rough. It was tough even landing in kids beach with high. John, some other kayaker and I pretty muched got tossed back and forth coming in. It was still surprising to see many kayakers out there still. Everyone we talked had ambitions to fish pass the break walls, but everyone ended up back in the harbor.

Octico and I tried twice to make it out to open waters and twice we tucked our tails and returned to the safety of our launch. I am really glad that we did not end up in the drink. We fished the breakwalls both of our time out and in and still could not put a fish on our line. There were many small and short bites, but that was the most of the action we had all day. I had one mac that i was drifting around for the majority of the time, but no halibuts wanted any of it.

The only thing worth reporting was a 12" spottie that produced a great fight on lite line. I have no pictures, but you can take my word for it. lol I got out fish by John - Ocitco, last time and I was glad I had one fish, but no evidence of my catch. haha It is always great hanging out with you, John. Hopefully next time, we can chase that skunk off.
AirborneYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:58 PM   #6
johnnyblaze2009

Where is kids beach? Is it much closer than the Coast Guard Station?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
johnnyblaze2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:39 PM   #7
AirborneYak

The drop pin is where kids beach is at. Its across from the coast guard station. Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1400477963340.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  67.8 KB

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
AirborneYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:01 PM   #8
octico

It is much closer to the shore than the coast guard station.