Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2014, 06:22 PM   #1
Hunters Pa

Sep Hook em & Cook em entry

Or maybe it should be Hoop em & Scoop em?

Crab Stuffed Portabellos

Ingredients are approximate unless specified

Makes approx 6 mushrooms

Ingredients:

6 large portabello mushrooms (Costco ones are great for this)
1 cup finely chopped sweet onion (approx)
2 tbsp or so finely chopped chives
Olive oil - for cooking and slight drizzle before cooking
8 oz cream cheese
1 egg
1/2 cup ( or a bit less) bread crumbs - seasoned works better, but panko would be ok as well
1/2 cup shredded cheese (approx) I use parmesan and some mozzarella
about 2 cups crab meat
2 tbsp + 1 tsp seafood seasoning - I use Old Bay low sodium

Optional
Large jalapenos
Small sweet bell peppers
Pear tomatoes
Vinaigrette dressing
Arugula

Directions:

Start with 6 or so coarsely chopped mackerel, tuna bloodlines, or whatever you feel lucky about. Place in a metal cage and soak at a depth of 90 - 110 feet for 1 hour or so, in a larger netted hoop, until crustaceans appear when brought to the surface, like so

Collect at least 6 of the clawing critters and store in a chilled container until ready to use

Prepare a large pot of boiling water with the 2 tbsp of seafood seasoning. Place the crabs in the water and return to a boil. Reduce heat to a steady gentle boil for about 15 minutes or until crabs are done.

In the meantime, take the portabellos

and remove the stems and gills. If using the jalapenos and baby bell peppers, cut them in half and scoop out the seeds and any other gems you may find inside. Brush lightly with olive oil and set aside.

Remove meat from legs, claws and bodies of crabs once they have cooled

Sautee onions in a bit of olive oil until at least clear. I like to get them brown.

In a medium size bowl, or a large one if you tend to flick stuff about when you are mixing stuff, mix together the following:

Sauteed onion
chives (save a bit for the top)
cream cheese (easier if it is softened)
egg
bread crumbs
shredded cheese (again, save a bit for the top)
crab meat
1 tsp seafood seasoning

Mix gently until blended

Preheat oven to 400, lighly spray a foil lined cookie sheet. Scoop stuffing into mushrooms

If you are doing the jalapenos and/or bells, stuff them too. Sprinkle with reserved cheese and chives. Gently push pear tomato quarters into stuffed veggies. Drizzle a bit of olive oil over the top

Bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables start to get tender. Be very careful not to overcook.

Toss arugula in a VERY SMALL amount of vinaigrette. Plate arugula and add more pear tomatoes. Place mushroom and peppers on top of arugula bed and serve

1/3 of the recipe made two mushrooms, 2 jalapeno halves and 2 baby bell pepper halves. The recipe does fine in the freezer for later use.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:36 PM   #2
Saba Slayer

winna

Wow...that looks so good.
I have a bunch of chiles growing in the garden...look out crabs...I think I see another crap trip on the horizon.

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:45 PM   #3
Dannowar

Nice pa!!!