Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2011, 10:30 AM   #1
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

new to this forum

Hi guys. I'm new to this site and was refered here by someone I met by putting an add on craigslist looking for help to get into this sport. I am an avid fisherman of both salt and fresh water but my dream is to break into kayak angling as a full time sport and pastime. I live in Newport Beach and do most of my fishing there and out of Dana Point. I am comfortable on a yak but have not had the opporitunity to test my skills at angling from one. I'm in the market for a yak that will accommodate my needs at the moment and look to pick one up this weekend. The kayak I have in my sights right now is a malibu extreme that has already been modified by the previous owner for ocean fishing. I have read the pros and cons from a ton of online reviews and I feel this one would suit me well. I've read into the safety measures that need to be taken before pursuing this sport and am prepaired to take the plunge. I guess the last thing I need is a good group of guys to go out with since I don't think going it alone is all to wise untill I become a bit more seasoned. I have no problem being the "newb" and paying my dues. I just want to learn and follow my dream. Well.. cheers and bent rods to all......
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
mtnbykr2

Welcome to the addiction, if you aren't yet, you will become...safety is a good concern and having someone out with you is always a good idea...
lot's of good people in here, and there is alot of good info to be used on BWE, I love DP so hope to see you out there, I am in the 805 Dana
is a trip for me but I do it alot, now that tourist season is over we will be gettin down there again...good luck out there
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
yotasan

welcome to BWE

If you looking for a kayak JOSER85 has one for sale..

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=11310
yotasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Thanks guys. That sounds like an awesome rig he's got for sale. A little outside of my budget at the moment. I've been doing the craigslist search and found some really sick deals. Malibus, cobras and wilderness systems seem to be the brands I've liked as far as price and reviews go.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
DanaPT

welcome aboard.

Remember all the big fish are in la jolla.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

I hope to get into some of those big fish really soon.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:55 AM   #7
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Well I picked up my yak today. It wasn't my first choice but at 300 dollars used I feel I got a lot of yak for my buck. Its a feel free gemini tandem and it looks as if it will serve my purpose well. And at 3 bills I feel I can try it out, find my own pros and cons and start the search for something better, or find I love the one I have. Now its time for mods. Anyone familiar with this specific model that has any suggestions?
Old 09-17-2011, 09:37 AM   #8
YakMedic

Well you took the first step. I started out kayak fishing about six years now and I entered the world with a similar tandem. I can now tell you I am on my third and fourth kayak (ones the wifes ), and I am still dreaming of upgrading again. It is a great fishing platform, and you have stumbled onto a great community of like minded people.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:18 AM   #9
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakMedic View Post
Well you took the first step. I started out kayak fishing about six years now and I entered the world with a similar tandem. I can now tell you I am on my third and fourth kayak (ones the wifes ), and I am still dreaming of upgrading again. It is a great fishing platform, and you have stumbled onto a great community of like minded people.
The wifes conditions on me pursuing this was that it had to be a tandem so I could take her out from time to time not a bad comromise in my book. The only thing I'm not pleased with on this model is the lack of built in rod holders and the placement of the hatches at either end of the yak. They are rather small openings and hard to get to. But most of my gear will be positioned around me and there are a lot of tie downs for bungies so I'm pleased over all.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:27 AM   #10
wade

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
The only thing I'm not pleased with on this model is the lack of built in rod holders and the placement of the hatches at either end of the yak. They are rather small openings and hard to get to.
Welcome!

#1 - Most people use the vertical rod holders on their live wells during launchings/landings, and then use scotty or ram mounts while trolling ect..
( & flush mounts are super cheap to add wherever..)

#2 i almost never if ever, go into my front hatch after i close it up on the beach with my ff battery bag & forget about it till i land and pull it out.)

ps you have Family from Jersey? I know a few wild buddies with that same last name!?!..

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:20 AM   #11
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
Welcome!

#1 - Most people use the vertical rod holders on their live wells during launchings/landings, and then use scotty or ram mounts while trolling ect..
( & flush mounts are super cheap to add wherever..)

#2 i almost never if ever, go into my front hatch after i close it up on the beach with my ff battery bag & forget about it till i land and pull it out.)

ps you have Family from Jersey? I know a few wild buddies with that same last name!?!..
Thanks for the welcome! I planned on using a milk crate and pvc for my uprights and am on the hunt for a pair of scotty holders. I also considered a johnny bar so I could mount accessories without doing any perminent mods to the body.
I'm not so concerned with the front hatch on my yak as much as I am the back one. It seems very ackward for them to put it where it is and the way the back of my yak slopes down it looks like it will get submerged in anything over1-2 foot swell. Hope that hatch is tight.
Oh and idk about family in jersey Novotny is a pretty common name in the Czech world. There was even a czech prez with the same name in the 60s I beileve. Never know though.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:35 AM   #12
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

heres the yak I just got
Old 09-17-2011, 05:28 PM   #13
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
Remember all the big fish are in la jolla.

yep, just keep going south nothing to see up here, keep moving.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote