Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
seriola_killer
Sled Peddler

Newbie lookin' for some guidance

Hey everyone! Long time fisherman, complete newb on the Kayak. I recently (a couple months ago) bought a Cobra FnD. I've taken it out a dozen or so times, having really good success in the big bay for spotties, some turdrollers, and the occasional halibut.

I originally got the FnD because it was the most stable kayak on the planet, or so I thought. However, since I've grasped the basic concept of staying dry, I can't help but wonder if "stable" is just a personal preference once the learning curve has been reached.

Paddling this tank is a bitch going up current and/or into the wind, so I am already looking into the Mirage line from Hobie.

Maybe it's the optimistic side of me, but being a newb with a dozen or so experiences on the water in a kayak, am I correct in possibly thinking that I can get the hang of a "less stable" kayak like the Mirage relatively quickly?

Any advice or opinions are welcome, and thank you all, by the way, for sharing your pics and reports on this site. It kicks ass!
seriola_killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Welcome to BWE.
Go see Andy at OEX Sunset Beach and test paddle a few. For me Stability comes with experience, and time spent on the water.

btw there is no botd here.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
RK

stability is in the eye of the beholder, theres a ton of variables involved, your height, weight, balance, etc... factor into that the possibility of large fish attached trying to throw all that off and comfort level needs to be high...
All that being said, yes you will adjust just like how you took training wheels off and got comfortable on a two wheeled bike, same concept here. Only you know your limits and abilites.
Try new shit if it works rad if it doesnt this is a great forum to re sell on..

Welcome aboard, and I really only responded to this for the simple fact that your occupation is a vaginal massage therapist, a occupation that I highly respect.
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
roadx

the hobie outback is SUPER stable! dont try them unless your willing to sell your FND and get a outback
Old 02-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #5
seriola_killer
Sled Peddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
Welcome to BWE.
Go see Andy at OEX Sunset Beach and test paddle a few. For me Stability comes with experience, and time spent on the water.

btw there is no botd here.

Well, I won't hold that against the site owner. :-)
seriola_killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:33 AM   #6
mtnbykr2

the suggestion of test driving the different yaks is a good one, and let me tell you from experience, once you try an Outback or Revo, you will definately want to trade in the FnD...imo