View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 05:17 AM   #1
Matt
Support your local pangas

Dana Pt./Doheny sunday, sunday, sunday...

Well headed on up to Dana with Josh looking for big halibut. We had been told of a recent 48 lb halibut landed within the last week and another of equal size lost at boatside due to a broken rod.

Well we headed on up and launched at baby's beach and quickly made the journey to the bait barge to find it closed. So off we headed to the outside to spend quite a long time making bait, before we finally headed over to Capo and the rivermouth area. Ran into Yani and his crew who were on the way in having only caught a calico and some possible lost halibut on the bottom. They gave us the bait they had from when the bait barge was open (?) Yani explained that the dudes at the barge often bail to take lunches and dork around, oh well. Now that we had a ton of bait, we quickly found a guitar shark and frayed lines from other sharks and some cuda on the inside of the harbor....no halibut to speak of short or large or of any kind at all. Still a nice day on the water in an area I haven't fished alot, probably should have stayed in LJ but ya never know until you try!

On a side note my buddy John on his first or second trip out to Lj nailed a really large thresher shark and was super stoked, dude got his kayak 2 days ago fresh from a move out from alabama and nailed a T almost as big as his boat nice job my man!!! A little bigger than a freshwater bass huh?