View Single Post
Old 11-11-2011, 03:40 PM   #17
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidJig View Post
Does anyone know what this stuff is? I've never seen before. It resembles beach tar, grainy, black, and a little tough to break apart. It's everywhere in this fish, in the gut cavity, in connective tissue, in the flesh. It ranges in size from grains of sand to flattened peas. I don't have a problem with nearly invisible worms but this stuff is down right ugly. The fish tasted fine but I couldn't eat it without shredding it and picking out all the black stuff.

So, is fish like this better off in the dumpster? I guess it can't all pass inspection, right?

I've seen that stuff in one fish. A decent yellow I caught off Point Vicente about a decade ago. The substance looked felt and smelled just like some kind of petroleum based tar. Really weird stuff, that basically did not look like it even belonged in there.

On my fish the stuff was in his flesh around and old injury in the fishes back a actual healed over notch where it looked like it had been bitten by a shark. The weird thing is in that notch it had been attacked by really large parasites that looked like some form of anchor worms. I've never seen anything like them in other fish.

You can kind of see them in this pic.

That's an old pic I put up on Allcoast back in 2001...LOL Time flies when your having fun
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote