Thread: Can't decide
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2013, 11:24 AM   #10
chxh8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
One thing to remember is that a plastic kayaks life span is about 10-15 years max if taken care of, so even a 3 year old yak is just about 1/4 of the way done and the price should reflect that.
Really?

Not trying to argue... and I'm not saying to get an old/faded kayak...but....

My first kayak was a OK Scupper Pro (the old one with the two hatches, no tankwell) that I traded some guy my mt bike for back in the day. It had to be at least 5 years old when I got it, and extremely sun-faded. Had it for another 7 years, most of which I left locked up at the beach amongst the beach homeowners kayaks until I had a garage. Still used it up til this summer, when I upgraded to a OK Prowler 13T (a gift from the wife).

For the Scupper Pro, within the last year I ended up getting new hatch seals, new buckles for the hatch straps, re-ran the rudder lines with some new parts, used it a couple more times, then sold it.

Worked fine all those years, and I'm sure the new owner will get plenty of use out of it. Needless to say, I beat the crap out of that thing for years, with no issues.

Again, not arguing, or suggesting abusing your kayak like this, but just curious where the 10-15 year time frame came from.

And don't worry, my new yak will be taken care of and babied.
chxh8me is offline   Reply With Quote