View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
kurtfish

3rd annual Bill Poole Tournament a big sucess

The Bill Poole Angling Tournament was very successful. Although the weather did not cooperate for the fishing on Saturday we did raise over $60,000 for Hubbs White Seabass Replenishment program that has planted over 2 million WSB into our local Southern California kelp beds. I fished on the Excel with only 5 tuna, one of each species, and two small Yellowtail landed. I did not have a bite although I threw a mega bait at some boiling BFT.
The winner of the High Sportboat category was Goran Kirouski.
The winner of the High Tournament Angler was also Goran Kirouski!
His fish was a 36 pound Albacore caught on the Excel fishing 100 miles south of Point Loma. Hooked just twenty minutes after the start of trolling Saturday morning, on a Mexican Flag colored Zuker, Goran battled the fish in rough weather.
The albacore was fat and in beautiful condition.
Goran received a wonderful carved Hawaiian fish hook by the renowned artist David Wirth.
The Bill Poole Memorial Angling Tournament is held to benefit the Hubbs Sea World Research Institute and it's program to enhance white sea bass stocks in California.

The silent auction was very sucessful as well with over $11k raised for WSB with special thanks to OEX with a very generous donation of a beautiful Malibu kayak.

Thanks to Wade and his buddies that braved the very challenging conditions off La Jolla to participate in this very important event that helps secure the future of this great sport and commercial species.

Last edited by kurtfish; 08-01-2011 at 11:46 AM.
kurtfish is offline   Reply With Quote