View Single Post
Old 02-15-2022, 02:01 PM   #3
JohnMckroidJr

It has been decades since I rockcodded on the West Coast, but If I were to target deep water Rockfish, I would use a slow taper rod, 7ft or shorter because a fast taper rod will be more difficult to feel the strikes. A 2-speed reel using high speed when no fish are on the line, and low gear for when winding up fish. A reel with a long handle or a custom longer handle crank for easier winding. Since only 2 hooks are allowed, I would probably fish with 20-50lb braid(lighter line for less drift). I would consider rigging a half pool noodle on the kayak rail for a place to rest the rod while cranking up fish.

Two-speed reels for under 40lb line are unnecessary if one is a strong, seasoned angler. With that in mind, would probably opt for a 1-speed reel if fishing lighter lines. Back when 2:1 gear ratios were the norm for rockcodding, if one reeled up too fast, the fish would sometimes spin-off. It is always better to wind up slow and steady when reeling up rockfish.

In the '70s, one could catch rockfish using cigarette butts for bait. My buddy once caught his limit of half-day boat rockcod using a cut-off broomstick for a rod, u-nails for guides, and a Penn Del Mar reel secured with electric tape --LOL.

I still have my Hermosa Tackle Box Rockcod Special - 9ft Roller guide heavy duty Rod with a rail plate for steady cranking and a custom long crank handle 9/0 Penn Senator loaded with 80lb dacron. That was the best outfit to own back in the days of Cowcod and 15 fish limits. If I ever do deep dropping from a boat off Florida, I will use it instead of the electric reels that most Floridians use. Using electricity is cheating.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote