View Single Post
Old 01-27-2015, 08:45 AM   #29
svendawg

koodoos to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
It got nasty out there super super fast. I hooked up on the dropper right when the wind started. I buttoned down the drag and started cranking as fast as I possibly could not caring if it busted or pulled off. The wind was blowing an easy 35mph gusting 40+. 60 secs into it it was white capping. 5min into it there were 1' swells, 15min into it there were 1.5-2' swells one after another. I had to do a gangster lean to the right to keep from rolling over in my revo. Needless to say I got soaked. I took really big one over the front that completely fills the yak.mluckily I came in a good mile from where I was at originally. Oh and the fish wound up being a PB lingcod for me. It was about 36-38" everybit of 15lb. Would've took pix, but was in a frantic try to get all my gear in. Sent her back down and pulled the over flow tube on the bait tank to shed some weight.

I saw three yaks get washed from a mile south of the point to a mile north of it in the 30min it took me to get to the NW corner of the kelp from the mini hurricane I was lucky enough to be in about a 1.5miles out. Still glad I wasnt 2.4miles out like I was at the originally spot. That would've really sucked. Well needless to say that by the time I got to the MLPA buoys, the Kayakers were almost out of sight. So I asked a lobster boater sitting there if he could go check on them, told him the little story. He simply replied that's what they get for coming out. So I called 911 and aske for the CG, they linked me to the life guard. Only crappy thing was is that they made me stay on the phone with them until the life guard boat got onto the water. So even the I made it into the cove I was still get splashed and my phone will officially take a crap here shortly. It will not charge anymore. The LG brought everyone in safely and I was off to await for another window to open this week to get out on the water.

I'll post up next time I go out. Also bait was super easy to make as well. There are a ton of spread out greenies all around the kelp line as well as Spanish. I had 20 pieces in about 20min. there was some kind of hatch out there, so they are slowly starting to school up.
You are an inspiration to this kayak fishing community. Way to help out those fellow kayakers in trouble
svendawg is offline   Reply With Quote