View Single Post
Old 09-19-2008, 05:23 PM   #9
Handymansd
Ancient Member

A lot of good points here. But the one that every one seems to be missing is that somehow their overhead is smaller by not serving the kayaks? The overhead to supply bait to the barge is the same whether they sell to kayaks or not. They do not have to staff any extra people to keep up with the kayak demand, they don't catch or purchase more bait to keep up with the kayak demand, they don't have to spend any additional monies one way or another to supply yaks with bait. That being said, offering to serve kayaks with bait is just an extra little $ to a market designed for sport fishing vessels. I will only use the bait barge if absolutely necessary (when going offshore). I would be a little friendlier with them if they were getting their bait outside of our local kayak fishing grounds, but they are cleansing our grounds of bait pretty effectively; and then offering to sell it to us for $25 a scoop. So, IMO let them rot. When I get my boat I will still be making my own bait when possible, it's easy to do (usually), and it is cool to know that no one assisted you in your fishing effort.

Anyone want to meet at the LJ bait barge tomorrow AM?

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote