View Single Post
Old 08-07-2008, 03:42 PM   #1
madscientist

I get by with a little help from my Risso's

Breezy morning, steady out of the NW. First time in a while there's actually been a touch of surf or chop. Got out with a friend in the dark. Heard the usual asthmatic dogs splashing and coughing, then heard louder splashes and blows. Spot a big dorsal. Risso's dolphin! I don't particularly like those things in the daytime (they can be aggressive) and they were kind of intimidating in the dark. Lots of tail slapping and breeching so I kept my distance.

As the sun came up the wind laid down and the cuda moved in thick. The Risso's returned and corralled some bait. Figuring Risso's mean squid, I had the squid jig ready. Got in the middle of them and metered a huge tight ball from 50ft down. Immediately snagged 3 live squirts. Tried to stay with them but the dolphin were pushing them around too fast.

I tried to get a squid down on the bait rig but instantly was bit by log cuda. Managed to sneak the next one down. A few minutes later the clicker chirped but didn't run. Picked up the rod and felt weight, so I swung hard. Something there but still no run. Got it up 10ft, but then it went straight back down. Up a bit, then back down. Repeated this about 6 times, wondering what it was. Started to think maybe halibut but every time I think that it turns into a shark. Finally got it coming up and felt some headshakes...I started to believe so I had the gaff ready.

First crappy gaff shot slid off the back (note to self, sharpen gaff). Second shot got it in the gills...not great. No reaction from the fish so I grabbed it by the gills and quickly shot the stringer through and out it's mouth. Still no movement. Tried to pull it on board to judge it's size. That pissed it off and it flopped violently. Caught my finger with a tooth and gave me a nice inch long laceration. I started to worry that my stringer might fail so I tried to get it in the hatch. Didn't fit. I tried to push it in but it flopped straight up about a foot and a half, almost bitchslapping me in the face. Finally got it stuffed in the hatch and called it a day.

43.9# on the OEX scale in Kearney Mesa. Not super long but FAT; the fillets off the topside were almost 2 inches thick. Female, but small eggs sacks. Must have spawned fairly recently. No obvious worms.

Funny thing, we saw a shooting star on the paddle out. We chuckled, figuring we had the same wish. Got the size about right, but I guess I didn't specify the species.

Last edited by lambadmin; 08-08-2008 at 10:47 AM. Reason: front page edit
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote