Thread: VHF Tips
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2020, 07:31 AM   #7
TJones

Hand Held

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc View Post
This came at the perfect time for me. Looking at the standard horizons HX 890 or ICOM IC-M93D models since they have gps and I can send a distress beacon at the touch of a button & coast guard can find my cold corps clinging onto my (expensive for me) real
Anyone have a recommendation? The icon is made in japan, but only has a max of 5w, the SH has a max of 6w, but is china made. Has anyone used these in real life? Or has a better option?
Thanks guys
Its nice to have all those features packed into a radio, but personally I find it too much. I keep it simple by having Personal Beacon Locator for emergency purposes, and a high end floating hand radio for communication purposes. The Icom radios are simple to use and have great performance. I also have SH 870 radio, which will do everything you need and more. Its an older model by now and generally speaking the more features you have, the more draw rate it will have. I would roll with that 6 watt icom. Thats one of my current radios. I have only had it for 3-4 months so I can not speak about long term reliability. Im sure it will not disappoint. I have an M36 that is years old now and it performs like new still. Good luck with you decision.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote