View Single Post
Old 10-14-2020, 04:42 PM   #5
ProfessorLongArms

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCS View Post
That was a great bit of writing! Thanks. Amazing pics too.
I’ve been tempted to try diving for lobster but seem to wimp out every year. How did you get started? Diving with a buddy?
Thanks!!!
Lobster diving can be one of the easier entry points to free-diving/spearing to be sure. Half the time you can find them in 6 feet of water in the eelgrass.

I'd been kayak fishing for about a year, and had also decided to take up Lap Swimming since I was starting to get a little pudge from diet and just not being 20 something anymore....

I'd recommend going about it the same way I did, and if you find you're serious about it, taking a free-diving course. I can't tell you how many people I know who've been diving for a year plus who took a course and said "I can't believe how dangerous I was being"
Some people argue they're an expensive way to get into the sport and not entirely necessary, but compared to the cost of a decent wetsuit, mask, fins, lobster bag, dive light, speargun, etc. etc. etc. it's pretty reasonable as an insurance policy.

There are a number of spearo forums on Facebook for CA and SoCal, and a lot of people just go to a shop, buy the gear, and jump in the ocean.
Similar to Kayak Fishing, it can be a lot more fun and a lot safer if you have buddies. There's a conventional wisdom that you *never* dive alone because most people who die do so from an unrescued blackout.

Feel free to shoot me a DM if you'd like to chat about it more. I tend to almost exclusively dive with certified freedivers for my own safety, but I'm always happy to chat and answer any questions you might have.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote