View Single Post
Old 07-23-2014, 08:26 PM   #1
easyday

LJ 7/23 long unproductive day-again

Decided to get a late start this morning due to the fact we haven't been catching anything in the am. Truck battery ended up being dead, so we fixed that problem, once we got on the road i realized I forgot wallet at home had to go back. Was to busy talking about nothing and missed the exit. Got to the launch around 1030 or so surf was decent size for la jolla and breaking pretty far out and no time between sets. Got set up and realized my battery box was at at home, no big deal cut wires and hard wired straight to battery and made a waterproof container with a grocery bag and lots of duct tape. The launch was pretty uneventful, took one wave right to the face in the tarpon. It like to go straight through waves and not over. Pretty big rolling waves today for la jolla standards, Finally got out and started fishing, we saw a huge gathering of birds crashing on the surface so we hauled ass over there my buddies flyline starts screaming he put it in gear and nothing.......spent the rest of the afternoon making bait and cruising around with a flyline out and throwing irons, for nothing. Current was rpping hard and it started getting a little rough so we decided to call it quits. On the way in I dropped down some squid for 2 vermillion kind, hey its dinner. Sitting outside of the breakers it was hard to time sets because it was so inconsistent. We found our gap and went I almost made it until one came up out of nowhere and rolled me. I recovered quickly and got the kayak to the beach. I lost my game clip which was attached at some point, a tackle box full of weights, and a knife. It could have been worse so im not complaining. I believe this is my 6th Wednesday at la Jolla in a row now and probably my 20th time overall and I have still to get the YT. So will be out there next wed trying it again.