View Single Post
Old 03-11-2020, 06:22 PM   #10
ProfessorLongArms

This is one I've been noodling on for a while, and very recently had a nice big reminder on.

On big surf days where I launch, there's always a non-zero chance of going over... Especially in an outback. We *never* launch with rods up. I also stow my reels in my square hatch.

I always take my reels off my rods since worse than breaking a rod is getting that super fine sand in your reel if you bail in the surf zone.

What do I do? I keep a bunch of those Nite Ize rubber twist ties handy, and lash all of my rods together. I pass the buts of my reels under the strap that holds my bait tank in place. Then I tie off at the handle mid-kayak. Then for extra measure, I have a velcro strap at the front of my kayak bolted on that the rod tips pass through.

On my Revo, I decided I didn't actually need that extra bit at the front, but it's a good extra measure.

Bungees? I don't trust 'em after losing a rod from the oar holder on a launch once. Assume the force from the launch will *really* pull on anything not thoroughly secured.

This is a timely post of course, as I just snapped my sabiki rod and a (thankfully)cheap turner's californian rod in half because everyone else had their rods up, it was a small surf day, and I got distracted and just plain effed up on a launch. My torium and my lexa are now in the capable hands of their respective manufacturers as they work to remove every last grain of sand they can at 40-50 bucks a pop.

Had I actually followed my own rule, I would have just been a bit soggy and sandy, and given it another pass.

I am very much tempted to try a rod pod one of these days. Thinking I might sell my scupper and get an older trident for just that on dive days.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote