View Single Post
Old 06-09-2019, 07:15 PM   #4
bubbacee7

F’nsabaki & Mr. Nice Guy,

My cable that is attached to the drive train broke. After 8 years it finally snapped. I thought about buying the replacement parts on Amazon but it was the same price at Fastlane where you can always count on getting great support. I looked at the other chain and it was obviously wearing so was the idler so I decided to replace all three. I am keeping the other two pieces as spares.

Take a picture of all parts as they are currently attached to your drive. I wish I had labeled each cable with a marker prior to removing. Really who looks at it closely anyway until after it breaks.

I used a 7/16 box wrench which was the easiest to use to loosen/tighten nuts. It is easier to take fins off first. Make sure you pedals are lined up in a position where your fins are straight down. When putting on my parts I learned through trial and error to place on all cables first without tightening. Idler cable last and outside the chain cables. Once all cables are on properly then put the nuts on all 6 ends. Hand tighten all 6 to start. Check to make sure none of the cables have slipped out of place and then tighten all nuts. Take this opportunity to bend fin posts back into original shape then return fins.

Spare parts and tools are a must. Paddling in from the end of the Jetty is not fun. Really missed my pedal drive. Fishinmike helped too as he towed me across the channel.

The lower range marker is on the north point of Shelter Island. The fog horn and light is located here. It’s also about where the boats slow down to 5mph prior to entering the Shelter Island Yacht Basin.

Hope this helps.
bubbacee7 is offline   Reply With Quote