View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 09:42 PM   #20
lamb

Good stuff.

That does sound freaky, glad you got back to your pots and even scored!

I agree, the seals seem more aggressive lately.

These guys from LJ like to eat yellowtail. Not that they had a problem stealing fish before. These guys like to take cheap shots at our tired yts, close to the gaff. That's lame. We must discourage them from picking up that habit.

The new folks, don't forget - you'll catch that first big fish... never hang your fish by the side of your kayak, in the water. Keep it on board, fully. They will try to steal your fish. They will pull violently, they may end up rolling you off of your kayak. It happened before.

Majority of these seals are not the big ol' knothead kind, territorial bulls. These guys are youngsters. The other day we were chasing one for an hour. Kept running away from the boat, surfacing with my yt's tail firmly in his jaws... turning back and looking at me like "wtf are you following me, I caught this fish". Wore me out seriously, my back hurt for days. Finally the line broke, he got my fish.

I wasn't too heartbroken - we kept a few samples from that flock earlier for our culinary research.

Hate to find an excuse for these seals, could it be because the little ones are around?
The new generation of pups is out there. And there's a TON of them.

That's another thing that bums me out - these little guys are not too bright.
They still haven't learned about us having hooks and line attached to our baits. And that we use jigs, big pieces of iron with hooks attached.
They're learning.
They even hit the jig!
The other night we had 5 seals hookups.

And you know the next thing that happens -
the pup swims out to the beach with my Tady 9 Glow in the dark lip job.
Right there in front of our horrified local seal lovers supporter groups...

I am very sorry. I did not intend to do any business with that animal.

Last edited by lamb; 02-25-2013 at 09:59 PM.
lamb is offline   Reply With Quote