View Single Post
Old 05-13-2020, 10:13 AM   #9
SoCalEDC

1. light spinning set up - 4000 sized spinning reel (daiwa bg4000 or shimano sonora, pretty affordable) and 12-25# 7 foot ugly stick BWS. This is kind of an all around inshore combo. I throw swim baits, drop shots, sabiki, and ill do some shallower up to 150' drops for rock fish with it (very fun). its an absolute blast to catch white fish on this thing. I will usually tie the sabiki onto what ever rig is currently on the rod and clip. I actually caught a sand bass like this a few back lol.

when im done with the sabiki, if i want to leave it on, i will just wind the weight around the handle a few times and reel it up taught so that it doesnt snag anything (everything). If i have to take it off i usually wrap it up around my hand loosely and put it in a ziplock. the recovery rate for this method is probably only 10% if that, but i still try and untangle it for a minute or 2 before i open a new one. after 2 minutes i accept that it is trash and get a new one.

2. heavier set up - daiwa sealine 50h and a 7' fenwick pacifikstick 15-40#, 40-50braid, 50# mono top shot and usually a 25-30# leader. i use this for descending rockfish when im fishing for them, and for trolling live baits for halibut, and or fly lining live baits. its pretty versatile and im not much of a gear junky (my grandfather gave me this combo and its probaby 30+ years old, still works so why replace it)

3. Avet SX w/ 65# braid and 7' seeker american series 20-30# rod. almost strictly for jigging. I keep a jig tied on to this all the time. may not bring this with me if im fishing inshore or rock fishing etc.

4. Penn fierce II live liner on a 7 foot 20-40# spinning rod - 50# braid, no top shot, 3oz egg sinker c-rig, 25-30#leader and a 4/0 circle hook. i exclusively use this rod to troll big macks/rapalas.

5. Okuma coldwater ss line counter on an 7' heavy ugly stick tiger. 50# braid straight to leader. Exclusively use this for rock fishing, maybe one day i will do some salmon fishing with it. Do not recomend it for rockfishing unless you are using the line counter feature, because the retrieval rate is so slow (23" per crank). if I am not rock fishing I dont typically even bother with this set up.

I use snap swivels of some type on every single set up so I can change the terminal tackle easily. when im on the water.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote