View Single Post
Old 07-02-2020, 07:03 AM   #6
SoCalEDC

since I got my outback back in march I have surf launched it a few times, and i prefer the walk out, wait for a long period between the waves throw the drive in, drop the rudder and go.

As mentioned, landing is more difficult and my 2020 outback (I cant speak for the other hobies as i have no experience with them), DOES NOT SURF WELL. I tried to ride a wave in at lj last weekend (with moderate sucess) and idk if its a center of gravity thing or what but the nose wants to push into the water and ends up "digging" if you end up somehow ahead of the wave (ideally you would catch the back of a wave and ride it in). This is probably also because the new nose is sharp and narrow compared to the previous hull design. Anyways in this scenario just ride it until you turn sideways, lean toward the wave and if the kayak starts to go turn over hop out over the side that is opposite of the wave face, by this point you will typically be in 3-4' water anyways. The kayak is stable enough that it likely right it self after your jump, and usually dump you out before it turns over anyways.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote